• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Really worrying about abscessed tooth.

W

woooried

My abscess has started hurting again. And, I am so scared that it's gone to my brain because I have felt horrible for 2 weeks. I feel so strange like I am dizzy and jerky. I have been thinking it was just from my anxiety. But, since this started hurting again I cannot help but think of the worst.

It it has been hurting on and off for a year. But, the abcess above it has only been there for about 3 weeks.

I am so scared the abscess has went to my brain. I had blood tests done and they came back clear. But, that was 3 days ago. Nobody will listen to me about how off I feel. I have an appointment to get this pulled on the 25th. But, I am so worried it's killing me. Someone help me.

I already finished one round of antibiotics and they didn't clear it up. I am gonna call the dentist tomorrow and get more antibiotics if they will give them to me. If they won't I don't know what to do.

OK...

I assume you live in a first world country and you're not seriously malnourished; that you're not suffering from leukaemia, HIV, lymphoma and are not currently taking very high doses of steroids and also (hopefully) that you're not suffering from late stage cancer?

In which case there is zero chance of the abscess spreading into your brain (or any other vital organ).

It's possible that the infection is making you feel a bit "off colour", because your body is having to deal with it, but it's by no means life threatening.

If your first course of antibiotics was a penicillin based one, then a switch to an antibiotic with a different spectrum such as Flagyl (Metronidazole) would be a good idea.

No. I don't have any of those diseases.

I went to my GP this morning and he said that it could spread after I asked him. But, he said that it doesn't seem to have spread yet due to my blood tests coming back ok the other day and me passing the little neurological exam they give. Also. I don't have a fever.

My muscles are sore though and that's concerning to me. But, hopefully I will be alright. It probably really is just the infection in my gum causing me to feel bad. Thank you Gordon.

The antibiotics are clindamycin. Same as last time.

The only thing that bothers me is that I heard that this could happen here in America. But, I am thinking maybe the people that happened to had an underlying condition now.

Last edited:
Also. The infection is not draining and that bothers me. They should have cut a place open for it to drain. But, they didn't.

Also it's starting to feel like I have some pressure on the side of my nose. But, it's on the opposite side of my face than the abscess. Could this be a sinus infection caused from this?

also. I don't know if I mentioned it before or not. But, the actual abscess is on the gum above the tooth. Close to my where my lips start.

Last edited:
You would have a fever if the infection was that bad. I have a failed root canal, that has been bothering me since early June. I do not have an abscess but have had my sinuses get numerous infections during this time. My nose feels off, I have headaches, and feel a popping sensation in my sinus cavity near the tooth. I was also scared but have beem reassured by my doctor that I would have a fever if the infection was bad.
Also, just as a frame of reference, my husband had a really bad abscess for almost a full year, because he refused to go to the dentist and get the tooth pulled after a failed root canal. His was so bad that it would swell and pop and smell awful. He finally got the tooth pulled and the dentist told him it was the worst infection he had ever seen. It never spread beyond his gums/sinus cavity.

Just a word of caution about Clindamycin. I would take a probiotic with it if I were you. It is hard on your gut. It can cause some serious imbalance in your gut bacteria.

Thanks.

I really do feel awful. Even though I don't have a fever. So much pressure in my head and I just woke up from a nap. I have no energy for anything except sleep. My left eye has become blurry. I really don't know what to do since I know the hospital will just turn me away because I don't have a fever. I have already been twice due to feeling horrible and they told me nothing was wrong. I am just afraid something is actually wrong now.

Already got the probiotic thing taking care of. :)

Last edited:
I went to the hospital. I have an upper respiratory infection. Probably because of the tooth. I don't know how to fight this. I read where it can kill.

They also put me on Flonase. Which, is a steroid from what I read online.

I called the hospital back. Talked to the doctor who looked at me. And, he said my lungs sounded normal.

I just cannot shake that something is really wrong though.

Last edited:
I went to the hospital. I have an upper respiratory infection. Probably because of the tooth. I don't know how to fight this. I read where it can kill.

They also put me on Flonase. Which, is a steroid from what I read online.

I called the hospital back. Talked to the doctor who looked at me. And, he said my lungs sounded normal.

I just cannot shake that something is really wrong though.

Okay, I know how scary it is. I have been going through similar symptons, minus the abscess for several months now. I have been regularly visiting my doctor to make sure my infection isn't out of control as well, since I have had chronic sinus pain/pressure and congestion in one sinus ever since I had the root canal done that failed. I know exactly what you mean, because I have felt generally unwell in all this time as well, fatigued with headaches and sinus issues. I was also told to take Flonase. It is a super mild steroid, so don't worry about that. I actually have negative reactions to most steroids, but Flonase did not bother me, and actually helped quite a bit.
My dental phobia and anxiety is more towards the procedures themselves and not getting numb, so this part, while it causes me some anxiety in the sense of wanting to be well again, doesn't scare me.

Remember, you have gone in and had tests done. They have checked for infection. It takes a LONG time for infection from a tooth to really cause a problem to the point where your life is in danger, and very rarely happens now without an underlying issue such as a compromised immune system. The things you read are going to be the worst case scenarios where people had underlying issues, or did not receive medical intervention for a lengthy amount of time. My husband had his nasty abscess for a whole year, and it didn't spread or cause anything other than he lost the tooth because he waited so long.
I know it is scary, but try not to read stuff on the internet. Trust your doctors, and continue to check in with them as needed. You said your extraction is on the 25th, right? That isn't too far away. Are you doing salt water rinses? The antibiotics should keep the infection down as much as possible. I know it is hard, but try not to remember you are almost there, and you are doing everything you can.
Can you call your dentist and ask them to put you on the cancellation list, in case an earlier appointment opens up and you can get it out sooner? I have done that with both of my oral surgeries and both times got in earlier.

My abscess has also been there for around a year. Not the actual part that is up on the gum. But, I have had a toothache on and off for that long. And, I'm pretty sure now that it was abscessed then.

I am always nervous over both. I read things on google and flip out. And, the not feeling good part is convinced me that nothing good will come out of this. Even though I know I will probably get better.

It's so hard for me to trust doctors when I read about how they brush people who have health anxiety off and don't seem to give a care. But, I will try.

I cannot sleep because I have fear that I won't wake up. It's so bad.

It feels like it's going to my brain. My eyes and beside my nose keeps going numb.

Wooried, it seems to me that your fear is so strong that no amount of experiences, stories or doctors opinions can convince you that you will survive and be ok. Given this I believe the best would be to see how you can get the treatment for the tooth as soon as possible. I know you are scheduled somewhere at the end of September and it sounds like waiting for so long will make you insane. Would it be an option to see someone who can take care of your tooth earlier for you to gain peace of mind?

^ This. I second getting treatment for the tooth as soon as possible instead of waiting till your appointment comes. The cycle of waiting and googling out all the possible worst case scenarios and then take on all the burdens of what if it's happening to me is a very draining and futile exercise. Perhaps you could give your dentist's office a call and see if they could move your appointment earlier. Dentist offices do sometimes get cancellations in which case you could get seen earlier and get the appointment over and done with.

Otherwise, you could also go to the emergency dentist and request the extraction. I'm pretty sure extracting a tooth is a fairly straightforward procedure that could be done at the emergency dentist.

I rescheduled for tomorrow. Now I'm just freaking out about the pain. But, I know it's better not to wait.

I rescheduled for tomorrow. Now I'm just freaking out about the pain. But, I know it's better not to wait.

I am glad you got it rescheduled. The relief you will have over having it out and being on the road to recovery will overshadow the pain. I hope the appointment goes well for you.

Thank you.

Would you all happen to know if this infection would cause tinnitus? I have been having my ears ring for hours and it's driving me crazy. Could just be because of my anxiety or lack of sleep. But, it's really bothering me.

I don't have an answer to your question. But I would like to suggest that you get some sleep and not think about all the possible conditions that you may or may not have and then think about whether they are related to your abscessed tooth or not. Between now and your appointment in less than 24 hours later, whatever information you can gather or not is really not going to help you one bit and would only exacerbate your anxiety.

Try get a massage, drink some hot chocolate, read a book, take a long bath, listen to music, chat with a friend, watch a movie on netflix or something, anything that can help you to get some sleep and take your mind off this. I know for one that stress and lack of sleep does weird things to my body but sleep really does make alot of things better.

Thank you.

Would you all happen to know if this infection would cause tinnitus? I have been having my ears ring for hours and it's driving me crazy. Could just be because of my anxiety or lack of sleep. But, it's really bothering me.

Not the tooth infection, but sinus infection/pressure can cause a lot of the symptoms you have. When I had a sinus infection, due to my oral surgery (irritated the sinus) I had vertigo and ringing in my ears. I went to the doctor and they said I had fluid in my ear, which was why they prescribed the flonase. That cleared it right up.

I second the opinion that you probably should stay off google tonight. The above suggestions are good, or watch a movie.

I'm just setting here watching TV right now. The tinnitus I can probably chalk up to either the tooth or the upper respiratory infection. Heck, even all the stress and anxiety I have been having could cause it. I just pray to God they can get the tooth to numb. I heard it's hard with an infection. And, I'm not sure whether the infection is active or not after a round and 15/40 pills of antibiotics.

Edit: I am now feeling numbness in my forehead. I am so scared.

Edit again. I am back in an anxiety spiral because of this. Screaming that I am dying. Pleading with God. Crying.

I don't have a way to make the appointment for today. I feel like running to the ER again.

i still have no fever though.

Last edited:
I'm just setting here watching TV right now. The tinnitus I can probably chalk up to either the tooth or the upper respiratory infection. Heck, even all the stress and anxiety I have been having could cause it. I just pray to God they can get the tooth to numb. I heard it's hard with an infection. And, I'm not sure whether the infection is active or not after a round and 15/40 pills of antibiotics.

Edit: I am now feeling numbness in my forehead. I am so scared.

Edit again. I am back in an anxiety spiral because of this. Screaming that I am dying. Pleading with God. Crying.

I don't have a way to make the appointment for today. I feel like running to the ER again.

i still have no fever though.

No fever is a good thing. You are okay. The numbness is probably from the upper respiratory infection. Sinus pressure can cause that. The lack of fever means your body is not having to fight infection, which means it is still confined to the tooth.

EDIT: Thank you so much Mountain Mama. I just saw your reply.

I called my dentist. She said it could go to my brain. But, it's highly unlikely. That it only happens in extreme cases and there's very few documented cases of that.

No reassurance there.

She does just think it's my anxiety though. And, I cannot get myself calm.

Back