• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Receding gums - pls help!!

D

DentalPhobia_SG

Hi all,

i am really looking for some support here!

my gums below the 2 lower front teeth have receded quite far down to the point that i feel they have no more space to go further below...i m scared my teeth will fall out...the problem is the plaque/tartar that has built up on those 2 teeth and covers almost 75% of the tooth...i have an apptmt with the dentist next week for a cleaning/scaling, but I m just scared if my gums will ever grow back after the plaque/tartar has been removed??
does anyone have any experience??

i am actually quite scared even looking at my gums now :(

Hi all,

i am really looking for some support here!

my gums below the 2 lower front teeth have receded quite far down to the point that i feel they have no more space to go further below...i m scared my teeth will fall out...the problem is the plaque/tartar that has built up on those 2 teeth and covers almost 75% of the tooth...i have an apptmt with the dentist next week for a cleaning/scaling, but I m just scared if my gums will ever grow back after the plaque/tartar has been removed??
does anyone have any experience??

i am actually quite scared even looking at my gums now :(

Gum tissue does not ever grow back, but professional cleanings and flossing every day can stop it from getting worse. your teeth are not going to fall out because of it. you would need gum disease to progress to the point of bone loss which would cause loose teeth.
I over brushed for years after a comment from an idiot hygienist. I brushed to the point that you can see the roots of several of my teeth. they are not loose and are not falling out and have been that way for 20 years.
just brush carefully with a soft brush and floss every day and keep up with your professional cleanings.

Thanks ScaredyCat for taking time to read and reply to my post. Yea, having read on the internet it seems true that gums can not grow back. Dont know why but many people have still said they have had success with getting their gums back in shape. Seems the key thing is whether any bone loss has occurred or not - if no bone loss then it appears there are better chancea for the gum to re-attach. Dont know how true this is though, if you have not had much success then I guess it must be true that gums can't regrow. I guess I will have to just live with it! :(

Back