• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Recent gingival graft feels like it's moving around

R

ringbearer747

Hello,

I had a gingival gum graft 3 days ago (had it done Friday morning, it's now Monday evening). My palate was the donor site and the graft was placed on my two lower front teeth (24 & 25). I've tried to be painstakingly careful, eating mostly liquids or really soft things like chopped up jello that I can swallow without chewing, not swishing or spitting but carefully rolling my head around to rinse mouth out, etc. I've noticed since last night that when I tilt my head around I get the sensation that the graft is shifting with gravity, and it's got me really freaked out. Is it possible it's failing and coming loose? I haven't pulled my lip back to look at it, because I'm not supposed to. My anxiety is letting my imagination run wild, and I really don't want to have to repeat this surgery. I don't think it's simply the stitches pulling because if I just turn my head to the side, I don't sense the movement, but the second I tilt my head down, the graft feels like it's pulling to the ground--again, with gravity. Is it normal to sense a graft shifting around when you move your head?

I've no experience of having one, but unless something has gone drastically wrong with the stitches, it's really not likely to happen.
Could you not go back to the person who did the surgery and ask them to take a look for you since it's worrying you so much?

I have never had a gum graft, but when I had an apicoectomy, with a skin flap, I had weird sensations when I would tilt my head, or lay down. It was similar to what you described, like a shifting. I thought it was my tooth moving at first, which freaked me out, but the endodontist said it was most likely the nerve causing the sensation. Maybe that is a possibility for you?

If it really bothers you, you should have them take a look...otherwise you will drive yourself crazy imagining the worst. (I know from first hand experience)

Back