• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Recent removal and lots of questions!

D

deenie816

Hi everyone! I'm glad I found this board. I would first like to say I had 4 wisdom teeth out this past Monday. 2 were down and 2 were impacted. Although I was very nervous going in I opted for IV sedation so I dont remember anything. So far so good...I only took pain pills the first day and am now done with my steroids. I am just on an antibiotic for now.

Now for the questions...

1. As a child I got a dry socket although I followed the dr's orders. Does this up my chances? If so, how soon do they appear typically? In other words when should I feel rest assured I'm over that hump? I remember the pain and I want to avoid at all costs.

2. I tried to eat a small cheeseburger today but the bread was getting too sticky around the incision sites. I gargle gently but I still dont feel it flushes out everything. Should I just give up on solid foods and go back to soft foods? Or am I being overly concerned?

3. I have had a dull constant headache since the surgery...can this be in correlation with the anesthesia?

4. My mouth is very stiff...how long should this last? Should I be doing exercises? I'm trying to stay quiet and not chew much...should I be doing the opposite?

5. I have a long flight in a few weeks. Should I take any precautions or is this a non issue?

Thanks so much for listening! :) :respect:

Hi there - I had four wisdom teeth out on Monday too!

I was terrified, but so far so good for me. I was pretty worried, as all of my friends got there teeth out in their 20's, and I'm 34.

I got a general anaesthetic for mine.

I've been too chicken to eat solids, and have been mashing everything through a blender. I don't know when the "safe zone" is re. the dreaded dry socket, so, until I go back for my checkup on Monday, I'm just going to eat mush!

Hope you are doing ok too.

Luba: Do you work? If so, have you gone back yet? I worked from home today and go back tomorrow.

Maybe I am being too brave about the food situation? I might have over done it with the cheeseburger! I just am plain sick of the yogurt, pudding, & jello diet. :shame:

I don't have a follow up appt set. so I am curious to hear what your oral surgeon says. Mine didn't mention anything about a follow up just to call him if I had a problem or any questions.

My jaw is so stiff still but that I would guess is pretty normal.

Hopefully someone here can answer my other questions! :jump:

Good luck and hope you heal quickly!

Hi I'll try and answer some of your questions (also see https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/healing/ ):

4) Try to gently keep stretching your mouth open to get it moving again. It can be tempting just to not open it wide at all, but that can lead to permanent limitated opening ("trismus").

1/2) You should be over the dry socket hump now. But you may still prefer to eat soft foods for a while - there's a great list here:

Another question: I spent more time up and about about yesterday. I sat on the bed for a little while on my laptop. Last night all my neck muscles, upper back, and throat felt bruised and was sore to the touch. Do you think this is for the simple fact I have done nothing until yesterday and those muscles are just sore?

I called the nurse and she said that it doesn't sound related to the surgery but I disagree.

Deenie, I work part-time as a dog-walker, and I'm in college part-time doing photogrpahy (sometimes I get hired to do pet-shoots).

I scheduled my surgery over March Break, during which my doggie clients didn't need me, as families were either at home, or had the pooches on March Break.
I'm also currently on a two month break from classes.

Bascially, all I've done is a bit of photoshop work on my home computer.

My biggest complaint is the fatigue that I feel. However, they gave me steroids, and they are keeping me awake at night. Yesterday was my last day though.

I'm not really stiff or sore though. Guess that's the tradeoff from the steroids.

I don't mind the mush for a few more days.

Back