• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Recent root canal/crown- tooth looks black at base?

T

TKB1974

I had a root canal and permanent crown placed about a month ago. The procedure(s) went well & everything felt fine up until a few days ago. I’m not in any real pain but the tooth feels kind of weird (brushing teeth, etc). I used a light to look a little more closely & right where the tooth feels weird, it appears black (inside part of tooth, closest to tongue). This is my furthest back, upper molar (tooth #2, I think). If I tap on that inside part of the tooth with my finger, it definitely feels different- on the verge of uncomfortable. Any thoughts on why it might look like this? Good idea to call dentist or am I overreacting? The tooth is question is circled in blue.

Attachments

• C5E9FC6E-23E8-4315-A26A-D409CCDF1050.jpeg
    C5E9FC6E-23E8-4315-A26A-D409CCDF1050.jpeg
    506.9 KB · Views: 19
Is the tooth crowned? That looks like the margin between the porcelain outer shell and the metal substructure of the crown.

Is the tooth crowned? That looks like the margin between the porcelain outer shell and the metal substructure of the crown.
Hi Gordon,
Yes, the tooth is crowned. The permanent crown was placed about a month ago. I probably wouldn’t have even noticed the appearance of the black line, but the weird sensation of the tooth caused me to start peeking around. It just feels weird, like if I bite down the wrong way it’s going to hurt. I don’t even really know how to describe it (hence the reason for wondering if I should even mention it to my dentist), but it just feels “off.” If I tap the inside of that tooth with my finger there is a slight dull, hollow pain. I’ve never had a root canal or crown before so I’m not sure if this is normal or not.

Thanks a bunch for easing my fears, Gordon! Much appreciated! ?

If that's the back of the tooth, it could be a kind of metal "band" they seem to put there. I've always assumed it was because it was better for the gums that way rather than the porcelain touching them. The front often gets a black line, too, but it seems to be much thinner than the one on the back.

If that's the back of the tooth, it could be a kind of metal "band" they seem to put there. I've always assumed it was because it was better for the gums that way rather than the porcelain touching them. The front often gets a black line, too, but it seems to be much thinner than the one on the back.
Yes, it’s on the inside part of the tooth. Since the tooth is my farthest back upper molar, it’s really not visible unless I’m really trying to look. ?

Back