• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Recently Went Through Denture Procedure

K

Kitty2015

Hi,

I would like to start off by saying I am absolutely terrified of the dentists and I finally plucked up the courage to go and see one, I was given the news at the time what I thought was the worse news and that I would have to have dentures (upper), so the first thing I did was research and I came across this forum and it was scary to read, a lot of it was about the amount of pain or trouble people was having with their new dentures, so I read people suggestions on what to do to combat common problems when getting dentures, I bought paracetomal, gels and anything that would make this any better for when I did have the procedure done.

I finally had my procedure on the 7th August, I had IV sedation (Best thing ever, I don't remember a thing!) and my immediate dentures was placed in when I woke up, I was surprised to find that the next day I was not in pain as I had been fully expecting, my dentures fitted perfectly (I don't expect this to last as my gums will eventually shrink), I was thinking that maybe the pain might come tomorrow, it still didn't.

I was also expecting to be on liquid foods, again I prepared for this and stocked in soups etc, but because I wasn't in any pain I thought I would try the normal food I ate before I got dentures, Yes I'm a little slower at eating and I have to have smaller bites, but I can still eat relatively the same as before.

And also like I said at the beginning I thought this was the worse news ive had, I'm just more gutted I didn't do this sooner, I have so much more confidence and I am actually happy to smile and talk, without trying to cover my mouth without someone noticing

I'm sharing this experience because for the people reading this who are about to have them or is thinking about having them, that not all people who have dentures have a bad experience and the people who do have a good experience generally don't share this information, so I hope this can ease even ones person anxiety about this procedure :)

Thank you for sharing! :) I too need upper dentures soon n honestly I am nervous. Mostly cuz I so don't want to go toothless for a while :( how were unable to get your immediate if I may ask?

Thank you for sharing! :) I too need upper dentures soon n honestly I am nervous. Mostly cuz I so don't want to go toothless for a while :( how were unable to get your immediate if I may ask?

Thanks for reading Brooke!

i understand the nerves, but trust me its worth it ?

I too didn't want to go toothless and I mentioned this to my dentist, she recommended the immediates to me, she also said most people opt to have immediates

Oh ok! Well at least your not suffering pain or cavities etc. Anymore now that your real teeth are gone. Real teeth can be a pain! I'm going to try n ask my oral surgeon n see if they can give me immediate denture. :)

Well done Kitty2015 for being so brave and thoughtful in sharing this post. It's good to hear when people have a positive story - especially in relation to dentures.

Thanks for sharing.:jump::innocent:

Hi,

I would like to start off by saying I am absolutely terrified of the dentists and I finally plucked up the courage to go and see one, I was given the news at the time what I thought was the worse news and that I would have to have dentures (upper), so the first thing I did was research and I came across this forum and it was scary to read, a lot of it was about the amount of pain or trouble people was having with their new dentures, so I read people suggestions on what to do to combat common problems when getting dentures, I bought paracetomal, gels and anything that would make this any better for when I did have the procedure done.

I finally had my procedure on the 7th August, I had IV sedation (Best thing ever, I don't remember a thing!) and my immediate dentures was placed in when I woke up, I was surprised to find that the next day I was not in pain as I had been fully expecting, my dentures fitted perfectly (I don't expect this to last as my gums will eventually shrink), I was thinking that maybe the pain might come tomorrow, it still didn't.

I was also expecting to be on liquid foods, again I prepared for this and stocked in soups etc, but because I wasn't in any pain I thought I would try the normal food I ate before I got dentures, Yes I'm a little slower at eating and I have to have smaller bites, but I can still eat relatively the same as before.

And also like I said at the beginning I thought this was the worse news ive had, I'm just more gutted I didn't do this sooner, I have so much more confidence and I am actually happy to smile and talk, without trying to cover my mouth without someone noticing

I'm sharing this experience because for the people reading this who are about to have them or is thinking about having them, that not all people who have dentures have a bad experience and the people who do have a good experience generally don't share this information, so I hope this can ease even ones person anxiety about this procedure :)

Glad I have read this. I am due to have upper teeth removed and dentures fitted on Monday, I already cancelled once. As I am petrified. Xx

Aww hang in there Missy Ann. I too need upper denture and am scared as well. For me I am also proud because I will no longer have decayed broken chipped teeth and no pain :) just think of how no more tooth aches! :cheer:

Back