• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Recession expectations?

C

coolion65

So I've been around here a while, reading others experiences here. I KNOW I need a 'deep cleaning' (I was told explicitly that I needed all quadrants done). So one thing I've often seen, is people say that after this 'deep clean' that it ruins their gums, i.e. massive recession happens afterwards?

I don't know how true this is, so what can I expect? I've heard that it's more of an outward recession, that it stops the gums protruding outwards. Or just plain downward recession, giving the appearance of long teeth.

How much in mm can you expect to lose on average?

recession varies with the severity of the disease. It could be just a little <1mm or a few it really depends on when the disease was diagnosed.

recession varies with the severity of the disease. It could be just a little <1mm or a few it really depends on when the disease was diagnosed.

Thanks for your reply comfortdentist,

I was diagnosed about 22 months ago, then I had some 6's, 5's and 4's, pocket wise. I'm guessing those 6's will be 7-8's now though.

I didn't have treatment beyond basic cleaning at the time due to not being able to pay for the treatment, this isn't ideal but I want to get sorted.

Hi there,

I was wondering if you'd had your clean yet? I'm interested to hear because I had pretty much all 4s when I was told to have a deep cleaning. It's been nearly 3 months since I had mine done. I have some recession along some of my top teeth. I can see where the gums should be and there is maybe 1-2mm recession. It could be worse but I am happy to have more healthy gums now. I had a dental check up the other day and I got some 3s, 2s and even a couple of 0s. Dentist said I have peritoneal disease and it can't be reversed, but it can be halted so they're going to keep it at bay as long as possible.

The actual deep cleaning was fine, I had some numbing injections which weren't bad, and after that I barely felt a thing! I have to go back there again in a couple of weeks for more cleaning. My gums are so much better but there is still a slightly dodgy area or two, and I want to keep my teeth.

Hope it goes okay for you!

Back