• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Recommend best toothbush! Are Asda 10p ones really bad!??

P

Poppy1234

taking a break from the forum
What's the best toothbrush on the market then?
Just ordinary ones, not electric.
I checked out the cheap toothbrushes Asda and Tesco do, two for 10p! Yes, 10p!!!
I thought they'd be really hard and horrible, but they are nice and soft and really nice.
Are they bad, because they seem great, though don't have fancy rounded ends to the bristles or anything!??
I like a soft one, but would like to get the best possible one I can.
Thanks! ;D

What's the best toothbrush on the market then?
Just ordinary ones, not electric.
I checked out the cheap toothbrushes Asda and Tesco do, two for 10p! Yes, 10p!!!
I thought they'd be really hard and horrible, but they are nice and soft and really nice.
Are they bad, because they seem great, though don't have fancy rounded ends to the bristles or anything!??
I like a soft one, but would like to get the best possible one I can.
Thanks! ;D

I am not an expert, but to me, these are the sort of thing you use if you can't find any other. Go away somewhere and forget to pack toothbrush - type of thing.

I always use either a hard or moderately hard brush and never a soft one and always spend a little money on a good make.

i think most dentists would recommend an electric one now. they really are better for getting plaque off. and they are only about £30 these days for an oral b one.

I am not an expert, but to me, these are the sort of thing you use if you can't find any other. Go away somewhere and forget to pack toothbrush - type of thing.

I always use either a hard or moderately hard brush and never a soft one and always spend a little money on a good make.

I could never use a hard one! Has to be soft. Isn't a hard one bad for your gums?

i think most dentists would recommend an electric one now. they really are better for getting plaque off. and they are only about £30 these days for an oral b one.

Yeah, I expect electric are best.
I just don't like that kind of thing with my sensitive teeth.
Just the thought of it makes me wince.
I'd rather use an ordinary one.

I have 2 battery toothbrushes medium size one for when I go away and another for everyday use.

Dave.:)

Soft is best. You can get special extra sensitive brush heads for the Oral B electric toothbrushes. The simple rotary ones are the ones with the research behind them.
Graham you could be wearing away your gums by using a hard toothbrush - ask your dentist about it, just to check.

Soft is best. You can get special extra sensitive brush heads for the Oral B electric toothbrushes. The simple rotary ones are the ones with the research behind them.
Graham you could be wearing away your gums by using a hard toothbrush - ask your dentist about it, just to check.

Will do on that. Thx. I should invest in one of them electric ones. Many years ago a dentist screamed at me because I was using one and have shyed away from them since.

Aside from electric, which ones are good then?
There are so many to choose from!!

Will do on that. Thx. I should invest in one of them electric ones. Many years ago a dentist screamed at me because I was using one and have shyed away from them since.

Oh yes I've had the conflicting advice over the years re what is best. Unfortunately on a dentist's advice I was an 'early adopter' and was using the Braun Electric in late 1970s which moved through 45 degrees - very different kettle of fish to current sort and probably not good for my gums.
I've switched more than once on advice of dentists but have been in an electric phase for quite a while now and used the advice on here as confirmation that simple rotary Oral B electric is probably best. I use the extra soft brushheads.

Most dentists use Oral B brushes both manual and electric, with Sensodyne a close second. Draw your own conclusions :)

My dentist did say not to use one with a big head. The one she recommended to me was an "Sensodyne Search 3.5, small head side,medium texture". I have since invested in an electric toothbrush because she said that would be much better. I bought the Oral B Triumph 4000 which should have been £130, but I bought whilst it was on a half price offer. It took a bit of getting used to, but it did come with a sensitive head and you can also select a "sensitive" setting. I used that for the first week or so until I got used the sensation of using an electric toothbrush. Hope this helps.

Thanks Gordon and tooscared. ;D

£130 for a toothbrush........:scared: Was it solid gold or something....

(Ps. Latest news on remineralisation....I apparently should be boiling fish heads into a broth to eat......:o The nutrients in them are good for it....Yikes...think I'll stick to a vitamin D supplement, as that's apparently good for it too...)

Poppy
I would say the money is better spent on a decent electric toothbrush than on all the lotions and potions for remineralisation.....it could go on forever...have cost you a fortune and still result in a small filling.

The choice of toothbrush won't have much to do with remineralising one tooth I wouldn't think Brit.
I was just interested in what was the best one to use, as there are so many out there, nothing really to do with arresting caries or anything.
I was just in the supermarket and realised how many different types there were!

I have all the products I need, and really the only thing I have bought especially is the Duraphat, as I needed a fluoride toothpaste anyway, and the "Restore" is good for emamel anyway, so I'll probably try and keep using it whatever. (Though it's nausiating.....:cry:)

...but it's actually about gum health more than tooth health once you are in your forties...a decent toothbrush will save you from gum problems and unnecessary cavities i.m.h.o.
The toothbrushes are often reduced on offer and the simplest Oral B rotary style one is fine...think they are more like 50 quid.

I use those sonic toothbrushes, that vibrate really fast. dentist highly recommended it, what do you guys think?

I got my oral B electric toothbrush for about £25, half price at boots (UK). I've just looked online and oral b is still 1/2 price. have that offer a lot i think. would recommend it.

for a manual, soft toothbrush i recommend oral b, sensitive advantage, extra soft. it's the softest i've found (and i've tried pretty much all of them!). it's excellent, really. i strongly suggest anyone looking for a soft manual toothbrush try this!! i think you can buy it from boots or sainsburys.

i think either electric or manual brushes are effective, it's really TECHNIQUE that matters; i imagine it might be easier to have a good technique with an electric toothbrush though, hence the recommendations from dentists. i've got braces and always use a manual brush at the moment; my dentist and orthodontist both say that my oral hygeine is excellent with this.

Sonicare (ultrasonic) here in the states, my last three dentists recommended it and so did my husband's hygienist. I've had one last at least 5 years with regular changing of the brush heads. Think if I hadn't been using it, during my long lapse in dental care my teeth would surely be gone.

Back