• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Recommended pain killers after extractions?

chickenjen

chickenjen

Hi,
I'm having 3-4 extractions done in 2 weeks. I know that the dentist will give me a prescription for a pain killer (he told me so). But, of course, I don't want to wait until the prescription is filled to start taking SOMETHING.
I have some left over Vicodin 5-500 mg (from a bruised rib in May). And of course I have ibuprofen.
My question is can I take a combination of the Vicodin and ibuprofen immediately to ward off the pain?
Or it is better to take either the Vicodin or ibuprofen alone, not in combination?
Sorry, I'm sure you guys have been asked this question a MILLION times. I looked around though, and didn't find any questions that addressed this (at least not recent questions).
Thanks in advance for your help and advice,
Jen :XXLhug:

Last edited:
I actually asked several very similar questions of my pharmacist. He said (as all doctors and pharmacists will) that it's better not to take several things if you can avoid it.

My dentist prescribed the 5-500 Vicodin for my extractions, it worked really well for me. What I did was to take that right off (to stay ahead of the pain, since it can take up to an hour to fully kick in if you're already hurting). I didn't really need or use Ibuprofen, except in place of Vicodin after the first day or two when the pain had lessened and I didn't really need the big guns.

The Vicodin has Tylenol in it (that's the second number - the 500 - the mg of Tylenol each tablet has, the "good stuff" is just 5mg) so I'm sure you probably shouldn't take any extra of that, but I've been told by a doctor and a pharmacist both that it's okay to take Ibuprofen with Tylenol as long as you don't exceed recommended dosage for either one individually.

In my experience Ibuprofen kicks in pretty quickly, so I'd say to stick with the Vicodin and just hold the Ibuprofen back as a "reserve" in case you need a little extra relief. Vicodin can be a little hard on the stomach (if I don't eat enough while taking it I get horribly nauseous) so it's probably better to not challenge your stomach any more than necessary with extra pills unless you really need them.

If the Vicodin worked well for you before it should be plenty strong enough to keep you very happy through the recovery from the extractions. It worked beautifully for me and I didn't need to use anything else.

I think it's a personal thing. I've had quite a few extractions and never taken anything stronger than ibuprophen. You may want to stick with that but keep a stronger med handy if you need it for some reason. Really it's an individual thing. Some pains Ibuprophen won't touch for me and others it will so what usually works for you is what I'd go with.

You should be able to make it to the pharmacy and back home before the anesthetic starts to wear off so there usually is time to take the painkillers. How far is the pharmacy away from your dentist's office?

Hi, zzzdentist,
There is a pharmacy about a block away, but this is a downtown area of a major city. That pharmacy is very busy. I live about 35 miles away from my dentist in the suburbs. My pharmacy there is less busy, but we have about a 45 minute drive from the dentist office to where I live and my pharmacy.
That's why I was asking advice on what to take, just in case I DON'T make to a pharmacy in time.
Thanks,
Jen

Could you have your dentist call in your perscription so that it would be ready to pick up either before or right after your visit? That way there would be no waiting to collect anything.

Could you have your dentist call in your perscription so that it would be ready to pick up either before or right after your visit? That way there would be no waiting to collect anything.
DUH!!!! Why didn't I think of that?? Yes, I'm sure he could call in my prescription so I wouldn't have to wait (at least not TOO long).
But, I really wanted to start taking something IMMEDIATELY!! Stupid me, about 20 some years ago I had a tooth extracted and yes I WAITED UNTIL the anesthetic wore off and BOY OH BOY WAS I IN PAIN!!! :oops: I sure don't WANT THAT to happen AGAIN!! Also, my dentist at the time didn't tell me when to start taking the pain killers.
Thanks,
Jen :XXLhug:

Last edited:
Back