• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Recovery after tooth extraction

K

Kiwikid

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could tell me is it normal to have jaw pain after a tooth extraction. I know when the tooth was pulled he said that there was a tiny bit of root that they couldn't get....would that be the cause for the pain or is it just normal healing pain? It's been about 6 days since I've had the tooth extracted. TIA

I’m not a dentist, but I did read your post & I hope you hear from someone soon. Hoping your jaw feels better very soon.

Hi there. I’m not a dentist ! I hope you get an answer soon. I had 2 bottom teeth extracted the first one six weeks ago, the second one 4 weeks ago, I developed a dry socket on the second extraction, this gave me severe jaw pain, it travelled up my jaw to my ear and was relentless for 3 days. Is the pain getting worse ? Or just staying the same? Pain medication will hardly touch it if it is dry socket? And you would need to see your dentist ASAP, But I think it is quite normal to have some jaw pain after an extraction, but if your not sure about the root being left in, I would definitely make a follow up appointment with your dentist so they can check for anything else that could be causing the pain, like an infection or dry socket. Hopefully it’s just the swelling of the bone that’s causing the discomfort as it has to heal and repair. I hope you recover soon.