• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Recovery time post extraction

M

Msashleyw2010

Hello!!

2.5 days ago I had one impacted 2nd molar removed. It was a really rough extraction that involved bone drilling and stitches. Thankfully the swelling went down after the first day but I am still so very sore. I take over the counter ibuprofen twice a day to take the edge off of the pain but it still hurts. I work a desk job but I talk a lot on the phone. I've been trying to only move my mouth minimally to avoid making it worse. I have been mostly eating liquids/soft foods. Salt water rinses a few times a day. I'm also on an antibiotic as well.

To those who have had extractions, how long did it take for the pain to become manageable? Was there anything else you did that I'm not thinking of to reduce the pain? I've read on other posts that the pain/swelling peaks on the third day?

Hi Msashleyw2010,

sounds like the extraction wasn‘t particularly pleasant and now there is the pain on top of it.. You seem to be doing a lot already. Do you have off of work at least during the weekend?

I‘m afraid that there is no rule to how long the pain lasts after an extraction. Many people have the biggest discomfort on day three, which sounds like where you are at. But it doesn‘t have to be that way. You can find some information about healing after an extraction here.

As usually, if you feel you are too sore, or the over the counter pain meds don‘t seem to work well, there is still the option to ring your practice and ask them how to best deal with it.

All the best wishes

Hi Msashleyw2010,

sounds like the extraction wasn‘t particularly pleasant and now there is the pain on top of it.. You seem to be doing a lot already. Do you have off of work at least during the weekend?

I‘m afraid that there is no rule to how long the pain lasts after an extraction. Many people have the biggest discomfort on day three, which sounds like where you are at. But it doesn‘t have to be that way. You can find some information about healing after an extraction here.

As usually, if you feel you are too sore, or the over the counter pain meds don‘t seem to work well, there is still the option to ring your practice and ask them how to best deal with it.

All the best wishes

Thank you very much. It was definitely not a pleasant extraction and it has caused me a lot of heightened anxiety this week. (I have to have another extraction of an impacted molar and I am just dreading it.) I feel just a tiny bit better every day. I had it pulled on Monday. I was supposed to get both done but I had a panic attack and I couldn't continue. Now I'm kinda happy I didn't because I can at least eat soft foods on the left side.

Msashleyw2010

Sorry to hear about the rough extraction experience and pain too! agh :(.. I agree with Enarete that is can vary with pain times after, I do think those impacted ones tend to hang on a little more with the pain. I hope its not too long..

I'm glad for you that you the other tooth was stopped for the time and you can have that one side to eat on! That can make a big difference!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!!

Glad you're feeling better. It pains me to read that you are having another extraction after after such an experience, I would dread it too.. What I would like to let you know is this: every extraction is different and just because the other molar is impacted too, it really doesn't mean that it will go in a similar way.

May I ask you how your dental stuff reacted to your panic attack?

Glad you're feeling better. It pains me to read that you are having another extraction after after such an experience, I would dread it too.. What I would like to let you know is this: every extraction is different and just because the other molar is impacted too, it really doesn't mean that it will go in a similar way.

May I ask you how your dental stuff reacted to your panic attack?

I'm hoping the second one will be less traumatic! We plan to use nitrous oxide next time so that I'll be awake and aware but hopefully less anxious. The dental staff reassured me that I was doing a good job but they kept on changing between instruments because my tooth didn't want to come out. Lots of pulling and twisting. I think I would have appreciated having them talk me through the process and explain to me what they were going to do next. The only relief I have is that the next one I do will be it. No more impacted teeth to be removed. Although I must admit I have had a lot of heightened anxiety this week dealing with the pain but also knowing another extraction is in the future.

Hi Msashleyw2010,

All the best wishes
I just read that one of the things not to do is blow your nose and I just did and now very paranoid! I had last 2 teeth and immediate bottom denture put in at noon today and now have pain I did not feel before with other extractions and lots of soreness and am terrified of a dry socket and to even drink water! I had a partial before and full upper and did not have fear and feel like this. I am afraid if the denture moves and food gets under there will be a problem and i feel like swallowing will pull just like a straw and cause a problem. I have never felt this panic before.

I'm hoping the second one will be less traumatic! We plan to use nitrous oxide next time so that I'll be awake and aware but hopefully less anxious. The dental staff reassured me that I was doing a good job but they kept on changing between instruments because my tooth didn't want to come out. Lots of pulling and twisting. I think I would have appreciated having them talk me through the process and explain to me what they were going to do next. The only relief I have is that the next one I do will be it. No more impacted teeth to be removed. Although I must admit I have had a lot of heightened anxiety this week dealing with the pain but also knowing another extraction is in the future.

Nitrous is great, I am sure you will be fine with that. If you found out that having been talked through is something that may help you cope better, that‘s great! Please let your dentist know! Sometimes it‘s little things that can do a huge difference. For me talking does it too. I once told my dentist that a treatment feels like going down a deep black hole and his voice is the only rope I have that prevents me from falling too deeply down. That‘s how it feels for me. But enough rambling from my side, my point is: the more input you can provide in terms of what helps, the better. Sounds like you have a really good dental team :)

Back