Redness and pain in gums after extraction.

N

neon

Hello everyone, I had a tooth extracted 12 days ago now and I can still feel a sharp pain around the extraction site , also my gums are extremely red and it seems like they may have sunken somewhat (?). I'm just wondering what this could be, if it's normal or not and if I should go back to the dentist.
Thanks
Alan.

Kim

Kim

If in any doubt whatsoever, check it out with the pro's and go back and let them take a look and hopefully allay any fears and concerns that you have. Your gums do shrink over a period of time, so maybe that is the 'sunken' thing?

Hope you get on alright, and keep us posted.

Kim

R

reallyginny

As Kim said, definitely check it out with your dentist, but I can tell you it took a good 15 or 16 days before I was completely pain free after my extractions.

N

neon

Thank you for your replies, I think I will wait a week or so and see if it settles down and the redness improves before going back to the dentist.
Alan:)

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Might be a bone spicule coming through, can you feel anything a bit sharp in the socket with your tongue?

N

neon

Might be a bone spicule coming through, can you feel anything a bit sharp in the socket with your tongue?

Hi Gordon, I had a quick feel and can't feel anything outwardly obvious however I can feel something within the socket that feels like an object, however feeling along the gum line I can't feel any bumps (I hope this is clear?) . If it was a bone fragment would that cause the gums to turn red? Thanks for your reply
Alan

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
It would a bit, they can cause a bit of local irritation.

N

neon

Thank you, I will keep an eye on it. Thank you for all your replies, I think this is a great website :)