• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

release of information/xrays dental

• Thread starter krlovesherkids777
  • Start date
krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
So my friends family who we used to go to the same dentist that turned from nice to nightmere anyways.. she is looking into dentists for their family and had an appt with one. she didn't want them to ask for the xray and did not sign a release and specifically told them not to call the other office until she came there and decided for sure that is where she was going because it was teh first visit and her husband had some type of "warranty" on his work and she didn't want to ask quite yet.. anyways.. the new place went against her wishes and called the old clinic and requested them... without permission and the old place sent them without permission. Isn't this a major violation of patient privacy??? Its in the USA.

If no release forms were signed, then it's a violation of HIPAA privacy policy. Violating HIPAA can come with major penalty fines if it's reported (this is according to the HIPAA training I had to go through at work :p), so violations can be a pretty big deal if they're brought to light.

If no release forms were signed, then it's a violation of HIPAA privacy policy. Violating HIPAA can come with major penalty fines if it's reported (this is according to the HIPAA training I had to go through at work :p), so violations can be a pretty big deal if they're brought to light.

Thank you Sunflower!! I thought so.. and was so troubled when my friend told me this. I know my new dentist asked for the release before anything was asked for or sent , i've never heard of both places disregarding the express concern to NOT transfer, and no release signed on either way. and then records sent.

You have a right to be upset since you specifically asked them not to request your information. I would talk to them about this but I wouldn't report them. This is one area where the government's response may be considered excessive for a small office where no malice was intended.

Back