• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

removing a gold inlay

O

olanda

i'm having a 'defective' gold inlay removed tomorrow from the lower left first molar.

i'm really worried out the procedure - will it be cut out? prised out? flicked out?! is it easy to do?

:scared:

Hi Orlanda,

It is removed in much the same way as a normal filling. The only difference being, that inlays are tougher than normal fillings so tend to take a bit more drilling.
I would guess that there would be a bit of drilling followed by a bit of flicking followed by a bit of quiet swearing by the dentist if that does not work first time:devilish:.
Seriously, it should feel little different from having a filling replaced.
Hope this helps

Hello, i had the same done, had a gold inlay removed and honestly, i felt more discomfort having the temporary removed rather than the actually permanent, there will be drilling and pulling but not something you will feel and be bothered by, hope it goes well good luck.

It also depends a lot on what it was cemented in with, some of the newer cements are a lot harder to shift than the older ones.

thanks for that everybody! :)

It was really easy to remove, as you suggested dentist hater... a little bit of drilling, a tiny bit of prodding, and it was out!

unfortunately it truly was 'defective' - the cavity underneath was full of cement because the inlay didn't fit properly and underneath this was lots of nasty decay from where the inlay had let bacteria seep in over time. now i have to wait and see if the tooth settles or if it will need a root treatment.

Dentists who don't have the skills/time to do gold inlays properly shouldn't attempt them (but some do... :mad:).