• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Removing a tooth nerve

• Thread starter SolitudeIsBliss
  • Start date
S

SolitudeIsBliss

Hi,

Nearly 2 weeks ago I had a filling done on a deep cavity. The dentist said that they'd try to fill it but there was a 50/50 chance that I'd need a root canal or extraction. A few days ago, the tooth started to feel sensitive and tender on and off for extended periods of time. This morning when I woke up it was throbbing but not painful.

The dentist did some tests on the tooth and apparently the nerve is dying. She offered to take the nerve out while I decide if I want to root canal or extraction. I wasn't comfortable with doing it there and then and would leave it for a day or two.

Is removing a nerve painful? Has anyone had this done before? What is your experience?

I have a picture in my head of someone scraping a nerve out of my tooth and I'm scared it's going to be excruciatingly painful.

Thanks!

I had it done with a root canal. The procedure of taking out the nerve is no worse than a filling, just a little more involved. They actually numb you a little more than usual, but the actual procedure was easier than I had expected. I have a total phobia of drilling due to a difficulty getting numb, so I did ask for nitrous oxide during the actual drilling.

Thanks for the response!

Finger's crossed I don't need a root canal. It looks like my tooth may have settled.

I hope it did settle for you! That would be good news!

Back