• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Removing an upper partially-non erupted wisdom tooth

M

maesto45

Hi Guys

Last year I started seeing the dentist after a 10 year gap due to phobia.

As part of the treatment plan my dentist refered me to an oral surgeon because my upper right wisdom tooth was partially erupted and badly decayed, it took about 6 months to get a referal and in that time the decayed erupted part of the tooth was broken off so currently all of tooth is below the gum.

I imagine the surgeon will obviously need to cut the gum, does local aneasthetic numb the gum or will this partreally hurt? the reason I ask is Ive had filling before when the dentist has caught the gum and it hurt, even after being numbed up.

I dont mind the extraction part, its the cutting open the gum that worrys me

Thanks

Hello, I'm not a dentist but have been through nearly the exact same situation. Avoided dentist for 10+ years, finally went and he spotted my top-right wisdom tooth was decayed and broken off. It was pretty much flat with the gum line.

I was worried about cutting the gum but on my first consultation with the NHS surgeon, he said that it was a very simple job and referred to it as "flicking" it out.

I had the tooth out a month ago and it was very straightforward. No cutting was needed and with the local anesthetic all I felt was some tugging and some horrible noises. Was done in seconds. I can't tell you how he got the tooth out, he may have slid something down beside it, I couldn't see and was happy not knowing, but there was no mean and no cutting.

Will you get a chance to see the dentist or surgeon before hand? I was utterly terrified but the way he confidently dismissed my fears and told me how minor it was, I felt much better afterwards and wasn't such a mess before the extraction!

Back