• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Removing asymptomatic wisdom teeth

R

rachele

I am having all 4 wisdom teeth out under general anaesthetic in a few months and I am terrified of nerve damage or having a bad reaction to the anaesthetic. The thing is, I haven't had any pain or problems with my wisdom teeth. I have had some jaw and ear pain over the last year, but the surgeon says that is probably TMJ and not my wisdom teeth. However he says the teeth are at an angle (almost horizontal) and won't be able to come up normally, and are impacting my molars and starting to cause bone loss, and it's best to take them out before the roots are fully formed and get too close to the nerves.

I am 20 and I know it's easier to take them out now than to wait, but I'm scared of the risks. I have only had general anaesthetic once before as a child, but I was fine then. I don't know if I would be brave enough for local anaesthetic or if it is even possible, given that my teeth have not erupted at all and all 4 are being removed.

The same surgeon actually told me to get them taken out 2 years ago, but I cancelled my surgery because I was so afraid. Now he says I still need them taken out, and soon, but I'm terrified. Should I try to find a second opinion? I know some dentists believe they shouldn't come out if there are no symptoms, but my surgeon made it sound like I would definitely have problems with them in the future.

I am having all 4 wisdom teeth out under general anaesthetic in a few months and I am terrified of nerve damage or having a bad reaction to the anaesthetic. The thing is, I haven't had any pain or problems with my wisdom teeth. I have had some jaw and ear pain over the last year, but the surgeon says that is probably TMJ and not my wisdom teeth. However he says the teeth are at an angle (almost horizontal) and won't be able to come up normally, and are impacting my molars and starting to cause bone loss, and it's best to take them out before the roots are fully formed and get too close to the nerves.

I am 20 and I know it's easier to take them out now than to wait, but I'm scared of the risks. I have only had general anaesthetic once before as a child, but I was fine then. I don't know if I would be brave enough for local anaesthetic or if it is even possible, given that my teeth have not erupted at all and all 4 are being removed.

The same surgeon actually told me to get them taken out 2 years ago, but I cancelled my surgery because I was so afraid. Now he says I still need them taken out, and soon, but I'm terrified. Should I try to find a second opinion? I know some dentists believe they shouldn't come out if there are no symptoms, but my surgeon made it sound like I would definitely have problems with them in the future.[/QUOT

If you already went to the dentist once especially recently I recommend you going asap you don't want to be like me. I'm 21 my parents never took me to the dentist the only time they did was when I was in the second grade. As a result I got really bad teeth! And I'm scared to go to my 1st appointment which is in 4 days but I'm trying to grow the courage to go???? if you are really scared look for a dentist that uses Biolase or WaterLase it's a water laser and it does wounders

Last edited:
I saw another surgeon for a second opinion and he also said the teeth will cause problems if they aren't taken out, even though they have not erupted at all and have not caused any problems yet. He also recommended general anaesthetic because he said being conscious during the surgery is very unpleasant and you can still feel the vibrations of the drilling, etc.
On the one hand, the idea of being conscious during the surgery scares me, but so does reading the news articles of people who have died from reactions to GA. However the new surgeon also said they would only use the lowest level necessary and that I would be unconscious, but still breathing on my own etc. (To be honest I'm still not clear on the difference between IV sedation and GA.) I am also having my surgery in a hospital with an anaesthetist, which I suppose is safer since they have the resources to help me if I have a bad reaction. But I am still afraid.
Can anyone give me some advice?

I emailed my surgeon to ask about conscious sedation and he said he strongly recommends GA. He said they use the same drugs anyway and that conscious sedation is riskier than GA because you have to keep debris out of your throat on your own and you're more likely to choke! That goes against everything I've read. I'm in Australia so maybe the terms used mean different things here. Is he right?
I'm honestly not afraid of needles or pain, just reacting badly to GA and dying. I have exams soon and I can't get any studying done, I'm having breakdowns every day over the thought of this surgery and I can't sleep, I feel exhausted and hopeless.

Last edited: