• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Removing root-canaled teeth

B

Beccab213

Good morning,
I may need to have #14 and #15 extracted due to an issue with my RCT (performed 6-8 years ago). We are looking to eliminate sinus issues first and then will see if the pain resolves. Is it much more complicated to remove root canaled teeth? I had #12 extracted (no previous RCT) and it was quite easy. I’m nervous with the idea that it will be very complicated due to being molars and having previous endo treatments. My anxiety is about pain, choking, and the noise during the extraction process. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Beccaba213,

There are pluses and minuses to the teeth being root filled when it comes to extractions.

Minus side is they can be more brittle, so may be slightly more likely to break during the extraction, which may mean there has to be a bit of noisy drilling which you do not like.

The Plus side is, that as the teeth have no nerves, it is much easier to numb the area, meaning you are much less likely to feel any pain during the extraction which is also one of your fears.

To be honest the difficulty of the extraction is more likely to be determined by factors other than the fact that the teeth are root filled. These factors are the size and shape of the roots, the thickness and density of the jaw bone and finally, the skill and experience of the dentist.

Removing root filled teeth is a very common procedure and most dentists will be more than capable of doing it well.

Hope it all goes well,

Lincoln

Thank you kindly for your quick and informative reply. Is it better to have a periodontist or oral surgeon perform the extraction and implant? Also, is it likely they will section the tooth to extract? Is that standard for RCT molar extraction?

1) Doesn't matter really
2) No

@Gordon thanks so much for the quick reply! I’m trying to mentally prepare for this as I will be awake.