• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a dental problems forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Replace filling, or no?

M

MountainMama

0
Joined
Jul 1, 2018
Messages
2,542
I have two cracked 1st molars, both bottom. I know I have posted a lot lately, but I am hoping these two teeth will be the end of my dental work for a while!

The dentist said he wants to put crowns on the teeth, but doesn't think the filling needs replaced. I have amalgam fillings that are about 18 years old. He said given my history, it may be better to leave them be.

What is causing my anxiety is that the last two teeth I had amalgam fillings in that had to be replaced had decay under the filling that did not show up on the x ray. One was discovered when the crown needed replacing, and the other was discovered when part of the filling came off and had to be redone. One was a deep filling, the other was a small filling.

Both ended up having the nerve go bad within a few months of the filling being redone with composite fillings. You probably already know the rest of my story, which includes failed root canals and extractions.

I do not want more issues. Should I just leave them be and get them crowned, hoping for no issues in the future? The cracked teeth ache occasionally. One had the nerve tested, but the other hasn't. I also don't want to pay for two crowns, only to have them need to be extracted months later. I will not do another root canal as every one I have had has failed.

I am just scared either way, due to my history this past year, and don't know which is the lesser of two evils.
 
L

lizjackchris

0
Joined
Dec 8, 2011
Messages
47
I have two cracked 1st molars, both bottom. I know I have posted a lot lately, but I am hoping these two teeth will be the end of my dental work for a while!

The dentist said he wants to put crowns on the teeth, but doesn't think the filling needs replaced. I have amalgam fillings that are about 18 years old. He said given my history, it may be better to leave them be.

What is causing my anxiety is that the last two teeth I had amalgam fillings in that had to be replaced had decay under the filling that did not show up on the x ray. One was discovered when the crown needed replacing, and the other was discovered when part of the filling came off and had to be redone. One was a deep filling, the other was a small filling.

Both ended up having the nerve go bad within a few months of the filling being redone with composite fillings. You probably already know the rest of my story, which includes failed root canals and extractions.

I do not want more issues. Should I just leave them be and get them crowned, hoping for no issues in the future? The cracked teeth ache occasionally. One had the nerve tested, but the other hasn't. I also don't want to pay for two crowns, only to have them need to be extracted months later. I will not do another root canal as every one I have had has failed.

I am just scared either way, due to my history this past year, and don't know which is the lesser of two evils.
OMG not something else! Firstly, how is your front tooth? If it were me and believe me.... I have lived your nightmare, I would maybe try to hold off if you can before doing any more dental work immediately if that's possible. If you are even contemplating more work, I am thinking your front tooth must be feeling better, yes??...? For people like us, anything can open Pandora's box and spin into a nightmare very quickly. Could you use a break from all of this or Do you just want to try and get everything over with and not have it hanging over your head? You need to decide. Tough Decision. Most people can go in for these procedures and it's no big deal....the dentist fills it, drills it, crowns it, root canals it.....whatever and it just works out!.....For us there is a lot of uncertainty....that's the scary part. I'm almost 6 weeks out from my root canal on my lower canine and there still is a dull ache. It has not settled. I have gone as long as 4 weeks for past teeth and the tooth has settled. The endo says root canal looks great....Sound Familiar? so I am going to go for my permanent filling a week from Monday and keep my fingers crossed it will settle...Good Luck
 
M

MountainMama

0
Joined
Jul 1, 2018
Messages
2,542
OMG not something else! Firstly, how is your front tooth? If it were me and believe me.... I have lived your nightmare, I would maybe try to hold off if you can before doing any more dental work immediately if that's possible. If you are even contemplating more work, I am thinking your front tooth must be feeling better, yes??...? For people like us, anything can open Pandora's box and spin into a nightmare very quickly. Could you use a break from all of this or Do you just want to try and get everything over with and not have it hanging over your head? You need to decide. Tough Decision. Most people can go in for these procedures and it's no big deal....the dentist fills it, drills it, crowns it, root canals it.....whatever and it just works out!.....For us there is a lot of uncertainty....that's the scary part. I'm almost 6 weeks out from my root canal on my lower canine and there still is a dull ache. It has not settled. I have gone as long as 4 weeks for past teeth and the tooth has settled. The endo says root canal looks great....Sound Familiar? so I am going to go for my permanent filling a week from Monday and keep my fingers crossed it will settle...Good Luck

I am going to hold off on one of the teeth for awhile. The one that is scheduled for April has really been bothering me. The dentist could see the crack on that one. I am terrified that it will end up needing a root canal (ie extraction for me). I am already missing the 2nd molar there. After the dentist did the crack test today, it has been hurting all day, sharp aching and shooting pain, which sounds like nerve issues.

My front tooth is still super tender to pressure, but some of the pain in the gums is going away, thank goodness.

I don't want more done, and would gladly put it off...except that I can barely function right now. I can't chew at all.
 
grumpybear

grumpybear

0
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
107
My vote goes to leave it for now. At least until your front tooth has settled or even until after you get your implant. If anything, I think it would be a good idea to give your body a break.
 
M

MountainMama

0
Joined
Jul 1, 2018
Messages
2,542
My vote goes to leave it for now. At least until your front tooth has settled or even until after you get your implant. If anything, I think it would be a good idea to give your body a break.

Right now, the crown prep is scheduled for mid April, so I have a few months. Honestly, the decision may be made for me before then. After the dentist checked it today, I am having spontaneous sharp jabbing pain. The nerve may have decided to die now, with my luck.
 
Top