• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Replacing an old filling?

M

MountainMama

Is it really traumatic to a tooth to replace a filling? I have pain in a tooth that has an amalgam filling that is at least 15 years old. A previous filling replacement in an achy tooth resulted in irreversible pulpitis so I am super hesitant.
The dentist previously wanted to crown the tooth but I canceled after another crown prep resulted in irreversible pulpitis.

I don’t know what to do and am terrified of starting another chain of losing teeth

M

MountainMama

Oh I should add the filing is large and fairly deep I think. I’m sure if it was replaced, it would be fairly close to the pulp. I don’t want to move up the date that the tooth will need extraction (poke the hornets nest, so to speak), but if it will help fix the problem I want to consider it. I would think that as old as the filling is there is probably a good chance that there is decay under it.

M

Monarchandthemilkweed

I just had all of my silver fillings (20-30 year old fillings!!) replaced with in the last year because of decay. I have a tooth like yours. An old filling that was deep. That tooth had sensitivity for weeks and weeks. Using sensodyne toothpaste made it a lot better.

N

NETWizz

I just had all of my silver fillings (20-30 year old fillings!!) replaced with in the last year because of decay. I have a tooth like yours. An old filling that was deep. That tooth had sensitivity for weeks and weeks. Using sensodyne toothpaste made it a lot better.
... and now it’s good to go right? Doesn’t hurt anymore.

M

MountainMama

I have a feeling it is going to need to come out. Now I can’t chew at all on the tooth, even soft foods. It must be cracked like the dentist originally thought. I just cannot catch a break with my teeth

M

MountainMama

I made an appointment to go in Wednesday but I am not sure if I can keep it. I am too terrified as to what they will say. Plus, Tuesday is when I get my implants uncovered and the torque test done, so I may be in pain from that. I think I may have subconsciously scheduled that time on purpose, giving me an out.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
@MountainMama . If your experience is anything like mine at uncovering. You won't feel a thing during or after. I braced myself and was really scared of the torque. Walked out thinking what just happened could tell he did anything just had the healing abutment out now. :) Hope it goes well for you!

K

Kns

Wishing you the best - for both the implants and the tooth needing the filling replaced. I understand your fears completely and hope you have a smooth appointment with good news!