• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Replacing Veneers worry

U

Ukuk

Hi all

Really really worried sick about my dentist appointment in 2 weeks time and what the outcome is going to be. I’d like my veneers replacing that’s my intention . I don’t like going to the dentist at the best of times but I know I have to sort this because the gaps look ridiculous , even though I know it’s going to cost me a lot of money to replace them

Abit of background I had porcelain veneers done on my 7 upper teeth and a crown replaced 14 years ago, and have only had trouble twice when the same veneer came off and had to be glued back on. (The one with the gap now) And bearing in mind they usually last 10-15 years anyway it’s time to get them replaced (I’m hoping)

A few weeks ago I was out eating and felt a sharp pain in my mouth. I was out with friends at the time so didn’t make a big deal about it, and just thought I was eating something hard and misjudged it. A week later I then picked up on very noticeable gaps between my veneers on 1 side and some pain.

for awhile now I’ve had on and off outbreaks of bleeding gums too and did brush too hard (now changed to a different softer brush) This area where the gaps are seem to be the problem area to some extent for awhile, whether occasional bleeding or food collecting in the gaps over the years. For some reason after the food incident it’s become more noticeable or I’ve just picked up on it more after it happening.

Doesn’t help that during the long lockdown I was casually smoking again which I’ve now stopped!

I’m using gengigel to make my gums less irritated especially around that area and wondering whether it’s the gums pulling back from the veneers over time that have caused the gaps in the first place or contributed to it. I can’t make out whether the corners of the veneers have worn down over time slightly too so it’s not wrapping round the teeth as much ( it’s a little sensitive now and wondering whether the shaved down tooth is also now exposed) . Or the food incident caused an injury and has taken some of my gum off. Who knows

I’m now getting myself into a state wondering whether the dentist will refuse to replace the veneers

On 1 hand I’m thinking the veneers have ran their course and just need replacing after all this time or the gums receded and they can’t do another set of veneers then where does it leave me

Attachments

• F8FD09F3-5556-4279-AE73-BD97E30FA81A.png
    F8FD09F3-5556-4279-AE73-BD97E30FA81A.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 43
Have you had your teeth checked anytime recently? It looks like you have some gum disease going on in that photo.

Hi not for a few years no (my bad)
Do you think it would stop me getting them replaced?

It's absolutely vital to sort out the gums first, otherwise new veneers would be a total waste of time and money.

Back