• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Requesting abscess help/advice

C

ChrisHansen

Hello "Dental Fear Central,"

For the past week, I've been having extreme pain with one of my back teeth, and after visiting the ER, being diagnosed with a possible non-visible abscess, getting prescribed hydrocodone, acetaminophen, and penicillin, and getting an injection in my leg of "super motrin," as the nurse called it, (the name of it started with a T, I can't remember.) nothing has been able to stop the pain. I have been to a dentist; he wants to remove the gum behind the tooth via oral surgery, and I won't be able to get an appointment for two weeks, not only that, but it's the tooth that hurts, not the gum, so I don't understand why he wants to remove it. I can't sleep at night, no matter what. The nurse told me a few days after taking the penicillin as prescribed the infection would go away, but nothing has changed. Not only that, but the infection has gone to my lymph nodes, causing facial swelling and swelling under my tongue. The pain is intense, and there is no relief; it's a continuous flow of pain throughout the entire day, none of the pain medicines work, and ice packs don't do anything for the swelling or pain. I'm not sure what do to; go back to the ER, find another dentist... I'm running out of options here and would like to know what the best thing to do would be. I'm honestly quite scared, as nothing seems to be helping and it's only getting worse. Will provide more information on request.

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. I've also got some soreness on my tongue around where the infection is, any idea what the cause may be for that?

Contact either the dentist and ER or both and explain all this to them I think you need to be seen by someone, don't leave it to get worse. If the dentist cannot do anything then see what the ER can do as the meds are not helping. They can have a look and best advice you.

I am not a dentist and I hope you can get seen to soon and out of pain. Let us know how you get on please. :butterfly:

Hi Chris,
It sounds like your problem is coming from a wisdom tooth and the swollen gum around it, a condition called pericoronitis.
If your tongue is beginning to swell then you must return to the ER urgently. This is important.

Hi Chris,
It sounds like your problem is coming from a wisdom tooth and the swollen gum around it, a condition called pericoronitis.
If your tongue is beginning to swell then you must return to the ER urgently. This is important.

My wisdom teeth were removed 5-6 months ago, forgot to mention that, sorry. The swelling has gone away since the injection, but the soreness still stands.

@Carole, I'm probably going to go back to the ER today, then. I will, thank you. ;)

Last edited:
Back