• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Rescheduling for preferred dentist

S

sincitysoul

The facility where I've started to get some dental work done is associated with a local teaching hospital; The dentist who has done my work thus far is the head of the dental residency program. She's been great so far, and my last extraction went phenomenally (well....as phenomenally as getting a tooth pulled CAN go). However, with this being a residency clinic of sorts, they tend to schedule me with the residents going through the program. Realistically, I understand that these are all licensed dentists who are pursuing further education - and I'm sure they're all good dentists in their own rights - but I can't help the increase in anxiety.

After my first appointment, I made sure to ask for a slot when the first dentist (Let's call her Dr. G) was available, but due to a sinus infection on my end that sent me to get COVID tested for a precaution (I'm fine, just bad sinuses) and some sort of issue on her end, we rescheduled for a week out. I thought it was with Dr.G as well, but the receptionist just called to push the appointment back a few hours and notified me that it was with a different doc, one of the residents.

Would I be entirely too out of pocket to reschedule again to be with Dr. G, since that's who I'm comfortable with? I don't want to be "that" client, but I know that tooth extractions are hard enough with a doctor you DO like, let alone one you're anxious about.

I think it would be a really good idea to reschedule with your preferred dentist, just let them know that you’re a very nervous patient and how happy you were with Dr. G! I’m sure she’d be really happy if she knew how much you appreciate her.

Hi sincitysoul,

I second letsconnect and I don‘t think you would be „that“ client. We’re all human beings and we like familiarity and connection to other trusted human beings. It’s ok to have preferences and to voice them. Getting any kind of care, be it a doctor, a hairdresser or a waiter can be a very personal thing and the receptionist will be very used to people requesting to see someone special. :)

Hi,

I think it is even better for your first dentist to see you because in these long trainings dentists want to follow up on their patients on the long term, so I think it is worth asking.
secondly, most probably the dentist is also working in another practice outside the training, could that be an option?

Back