• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

right jaw clicking

A

alan123

So here's the story. I wore braces for about 2 years and then the orthodontist took them off. But i noticed that he did not take off the braces at the back of my teeth(two sets of braces, top and bottom, that connect about 5 teeth). What i remember is that he said that they help hold the teeth together, just in case they dont go back. Now, after about a year or more, my jaw started clicking. It has clicked for about three years straight. There is no pain involved, just clicking. Could it be due to these braces at the back of my teeth? I seriously do not know what to do.

Nope.
Jaw clicking is pretty common in most adults, it's fairly harmless by itself, but can be worsened by stuff like stress or what we call parafunction, such as biting nails, stripping electrical wire and so on.

Nope.
Jaw clicking is pretty common in most adults, it's fairly harmless by itself, but can be worsened by stuff like stress or what we call parafunction, such as biting nails, stripping electrical wire and so on.

That's good news! If i do exercises such as the one where you put your tongue on roof and open your mouth, will it stop my clicking? And can it even be stopped? Thanks!

Maybe but probably not, you'll probably find there's always some way you can move your jaw which will promote a click, it's really not a problem, as long as you're not having any symptoms other than the clicking.

Back