• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Right molar extraction, big nasal perforation

S

Sammyjr

Hi, i wS nervous going to the dentist but had to get a couple of extractions. I got a wisdom tooth on the upper left removed without much issue but i need an amalgam filled upper molar removed as well.

After the second tooth was removed, i had a nasal perforation, it felt like quite a big one. It got infected, i went back to the dentist and they cleared it out and started packing it.

While doing this the dentist used so much pressure he reopened the perforation that was healing and felt like it was almost closed up.

The extration was also pretty horrific. There was half lf the tooth left and he shattered it completely (i spat out a bit of the tooth with amalgam attached to it while walking home) and split the outer side of the gum partly.

Now i can still 'breath' through it more than two weeks later.

Can anyone give advice as to whether it will need surgery or some sort of intervention as i'm not setting foot in his practice again as post operative healing time seems to be a phrase they've nevsr heard of.

Many thanks
Alex

Hi Alex, I'm not a dentist so I can't answer your question regarding surgery or some sort of intervention. Just wanted to let you know that we have a section with dentist recommendations for Scotland on this forum, in case you are interested:

Hi Alex, sorry to hear that, that dosent sound like the most pleasant experience. Again not a dentist here but I had communication between my mouth and sinus following tooth infection/cyst . When the tooth was removed I had stitches to close it which may have helped it to heal. But I’m not sure if the stitches were more for the tooth then the perforation. Not sure if it was completely why, but, I was advised to not blow my nose for a little while, presumably to help it to heal. I think it mostly healed without intervention though as follow up X-rays showed re bone growth. And I have had no issues (touch wood) so far.

Not sure if it’s similar to your problem, so definitely wait for a dentists answer for advice but just thought I’d say I’d had something similar and it was fine and healed.

Hi Alex, sorry to hear that, that dosent sound like the most pleasant experience. Again not a dentist here but I had communication between my mouth and sinus following tooth infection/cyst . When the tooth was removed I had stitches to close it which may have helped it to heal. But I’m not sure if the stitches were more for the tooth then the perforation. Not sure if it was completely why, but, I was advised to not blow my nose for a little while, presumably to help it to heal. I think it mostly healed without intervention though as follow up X-rays showed re bone growth. And I have had no issues (touch wood) so far.

Not sure if it’s similar to your problem, so definitely wait for a dentists answer for advice but just thought I’d say I’d had something similar and it was fine and healed.

It sounds exactly the same but i didnt get any stitches.

The infection is mlstly gone now but its been about 20 days, it doesnt hurt but its still sensitive and i can occasionally still blow air through the communication.

Its healing alot slower than any tooth extraction i've had but i'm keeping my mouth clean and hoping it heals up

Hi Alex, I'm not a dentist so I can't answer your question regarding surgery or some sort of intervention. Just wanted to let you know that we have a section with dentist recommendations for Scotland on this forum, in case you are interested:

Thanks for the info, much appreciated

The posh name for this is OAF, oro-antral fistula, if you want to google it.

They mostly self heal after a few weeks without intervention. Somewhere over 95% of them if I remember rightly. The few that don't are fairly easily sorted by basically stitching them closed.

DON'T keep blowing at it to "test" it, as this will delay healing. Try to avoid blowing your nose and if you need to sneeze, just let it out, don't try to be all polite and muffle it up.

Back