• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

ripped off or not

P

patient

I have just left my dentist It was a private dentist and the only reason I went there was because the previous NHS dentist botched up a filling and left me in pain and I wanted to have it seen to and this dentist was the only one willing to see to it and it was corrected and the dentist got me out of pain and I complained to the NHS dentist and got my money back. I was so grateful that I stayed with the private dentist and had check ups and a filling and saw the hygienist and although I was paying more than I would on the NHS the charges were not that bad and affordable. I went on holiday and developed an abcess. I saw a dentist who gave me antibiotics and a letter for my own dentist outlining what was found and the recommended treatment. The holiday dentist recommended either root canal or extraction. I said root canal is painful and I have had problems with getting root canal in the past because I cannot get numbed up enough for the deeper drilling. His reply was oh the tooth is dead so it will not matter so you wont feel anything. I mentioned this to my own dentist who said no your tooth is not dead so why would he be telling you it is dead when it isn't. I said I do not know but that is what he said. She tapped on the tooth and said does it hurt and I said no. I said the gum is tender so she concluded that the infection was in the gum not he tooth. I had a panoramic xray done so she could see how best to treat it. I went home and they said they would phone me once they had looked at the xray and tell me what they were going to do. They called me and said the xray showed up another infection in a lower back molar that needs root canal. I said what about the original issue and I was told that it could be left for the time being. I have had no pain in the lower part of my mouth. I am not sensitive to hot and cold so I queried this and they said you need root canal and have an infection. I said how much would it cost and they said £500. I was shocked but not altogether surprised as it is a private practice but equally shocked because just before I went on holiday I had a check up and everything was ok and they said not all issues can be seen with the naked eye.

I have found a new NHS dentist and will have my first appointment with them in a few days time. When I think about the private dentist I was seeing I began to piece little things together that has now made me question things. Talking on the phone to her daughter whilst treating me at the same time and having her daughter in the surgery chatting to her about thing whilst she is dealing with me. If she must bring her daughter into work then she should not bring her into the surgery. She should leave her in the reception area for the receptionists to look after. The daughter is about 8 or 9 years old

I thought I was doing well because I had an issue about brushing gums and corrected my technique and the hygienist was happy that my gums had greatly improved so this is a set back

Ask them to email you your xray. No excuse they can't. It's your mouth and your xray. You will be able to see the infection they are talking about, shows up looking like a bubble. If you see it, it definitely needs to be taken care!

Adding on to my reply... Shows up like a bubble if it is near your root area in a panoramic xray

Back