• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal 3rd appointment ?

M

midhun3197

I had my 2nd appointment yesterday. The RCT was done on tooth #9 , the front tooth , which was dead. My endodontist did not use any anesthetic , neither did I feel any unbearable pain . The only pain i felt was when he inserted the file and it hit somewhere in the bottom of the tooth . During the 1st app. , I think he opened up the tooth , removed the pulp , and then cleaned the area. I could see him insert some files into the tooth , moving it up and down and then flushed something into the tooth with a syringe. He then put in some cotton and sealed it. And yesterday , he opened it up and cleaned it again , and told me that he is putting some medicine in , and then sealed it again with cotton. He did insert some paper --- (not sure what it is , is it gutta percha ?) in and then took it out . I did feel pain when the thingy touched the bottom of the tooth. Now , i have got my 3rd app the next week . Why does it take a long time ? What would the procedure be that day and would it be painful (till now , he didn't use anesthetics btw ) ? And I had excruciating pain in the adjacent tooth of the root canal'd tooth and also in the root canal'd tooth yesterday night , but now its gone. Is it normal ?

Thank you.

Hey there
My RCT also was done in 3 appointments.
But I had a bad pain in that tooth, that is way my dentist took some time with the procedure.
Anyway 3rd appointment for me was just to change temporary filling to permanent one. It was painless. Although I had some numbing shots done. I am a big, big chicken when it comes to dentist visits.

Contrary the information on the Internet the procedure was completely painless. Only one who was not happy, was my bank account :)

Take care,
Midwinter

Hey there
My RCT also was done in 3 appointments.
But I had a bad pain in that tooth, that is way my dentist took some time with the procedure.
Anyway 3rd appointment for me was just to change temporary filling to permanent one. It was painless. Although I had some numbing shots done. I am a big, big chicken when it comes to dentist visits.

Contrary the information on the Internet the procedure was completely painless. Only one who was not happy, was my bank account :)

Take care,
Midwinter

Hey Midwinter ,
thanks for the info. Nice to know it wasn't painful for you. Hmm you had the numbing shots , but my endodontost doesn't seem like he's giving me one anyways ! Haha I getcha ! My RCT is covered in my insurance policy , luckily !

Hi
3 visits is not so unusual, different dentists have different approaches and it doesnt seem to matter too much.
If the tooth is sore at the tip then I would recommend that you ask for an anaesthetic before the permanent filling is placed.
best of luck
rob

Hi
3 visits is not so unusual, different dentists have different approaches and it doesnt seem to matter too much.
If the tooth is sore at the tip then I would recommend that you ask for an anaesthetic before the permanent filling is placed.
best of luck
rob
Hello dr rob ,
Thanks for the info . Would the 3rd appointment be painful ? Since the tip is sore , will it pain a lot when he puts in the permanent filling ?

Back