• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Canal after Filling

K

Kat1025

Hi all,
I finally worked up the courage to go to the dentist. I had to have 7 teeth extracted and also 7 fillings (still two more to go) I had two fillings done earlier today, my upper right canine and the one behind it. After the fillings my dentist told me it was quite a deep cavity in a small tooth and I may need a root canal (and possibly a crown) in one or both. I’m terrified about this. How will I know if I need the root canal? Will it start hurting as soon as the local anaesthetic wear off?
I would appreciate any advice, thanks!

I have had that happen. It can be different, not always the same feeling. Don't be quick to associate pain with needing a root canal, though. You can have pain and sensitivity with a filling as well.

For me, root pain was deeper, in my jaw more than the tooth. It would hurt constantly, not just when eating. With one tooth, it would have an occasional sharp, shooting pain. That was a clear sign. With the other two, my jaw under the tooth ached constantly and tylenol gave no relief. Anything cold or hot was painful, and the pain did not go right away.
If you feel pain that you are not sure about after a few weeks, you can have the tooth tested.

Hi Kat1025,

not a dentist, but from what I learned: if a cavity is deep, the dentists puts a layer of medication as a barreer between the nerve and the actual filling. In many many cases this is not a problem and the tooth does well with the filling, in some cases it doesn't, which would show itself as a pain that won't go away. Your dentist is obliged to let you know if the cavity was deep and that there is a possibility of the tooth not to settle. Filled teeth can be a bit sensitive few days after the treatment but this should settle as days go by. As MountainMama suggests, if the tooth still gives you discomfort after some time, it might be worthy of having taken a look. Deciding whether such a tooth needs a root canal treatment or not is not black or withe but more depending on what is going on and how much time to settle are you willing to give it. So please, do not panic over this and most importantly don't be alarmed if the tooth is still a bit sensitive for the next few days.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Back