• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Canal after temporary crown??

S

silentg

Hello all,

I just had a molar prepped for a temporary crown on Monday. During the procedure the Dentist said that the filling ended up being very close to the nerve, but he went ahead and finished the crown prep complete with pins and buildup. He now says that if I don't have a root canal, I will be in unbearable pain soon. He scheduled my root canal for tomorrow morning. As of yet, I don't have any pain in that tooth.

I have never had a crown, or a root canal,for that matter.... Has this happened to anyone else? Root Canal after the temporary crown??

I'm super nervous about it all.

all of my crowns are close to the nerve...and every crown prep was wait and see if it flares up or settles. and yes two needed root canals before the permanent crown was put on. Don't think it affected the prep. Eventually my other crowned teeth could die or maybe they have...I had one die without much pain. If the dentist hadn't taken an xray i would not have known till it abscessed. If they have to root canal it later they either drill a hole in the crown or take it off. I would much rather do one before a permanent crown is put on personally.

If it definitely needs a RCT, it's much better to do it before the permanent is put on. Tiger is right, if you need it after the permanent, they would drill through the permanent (and then fill that after the RCT - I've had this done) or take the permanent off and replace it.

If I were on your position, I might ask the dentist if it's ok to keep the temp on for a bit to wait an see if the tooth flares up.

Back