• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal and crowns

N

Newplace

Hi new on here. I used to be fine going to dentist until as a teenager I had a bad experience with a dentist.....I later heard he had a really bad reputation for being rough. Since then I have a real fear of the dentist and have had teeth removed rather than have root canal fillings. I have found a good private dentist who has fitted a crown for me....fully awake !! But after a week I am getting pain on biting down and sensitivity, I have been back and am on day two of antibiotics......should the pain have gone now.....if it doesn’t sort it I may have to have root canal filling, that really scares me. Any thought please

Hi!
Welcome to DFC! Typically, teeth respond pretty quickly to antibiotics so it is possible that you may need a root canal. Root canals have a bad reputation but from a patient’s perspective, they aren’t really much different from getting a crown. If you can do a crown awake, you will do just fine with a root canal. I never saw myself getting through a root canal without some form of sedation but once I was numb it didn’t really matter what they did. I felt some vibration but that was it. I zoned out through most of mine and watched a movie on virtual reality glasses during the procedure. Keep in mind that your tooth has also been through a lot recently and may be tender for a while. Also, your bite may need to be re-checked and adjusted as that can cause pain.

Thank you it is feeling a bit better after three days of antibiotics but still tender.thanks for the reassurance about root canal. It’s the expense as well I paid best part of 700 for crown root canal will be around another 400 aaatgh.....x

I recently had root canal which was totally pain free after my previous dentist could not do it properly. No idea why but I would love to contact my previous dental surgery and tell them another dentist was successful at doing it because my previous dentist made it seem as if there was something wrong with my mouth because she could not numb me up properly. I think she was doing it wrong

Last edited:
Well I really hope I don’t need it but that’s reassuring thankyou

Back