• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal attempt

C

Cmptrssck

I Have always had pain during procedures at the dentist. I avoided going for a long time due to my anxiety from past pain filled procedures. They used an x tip, ligaject, and numerous other shots. That was handwritten on my treatment sheet so excuse any mistakes. I still had pain with every injection much less when he tried the drill. Drill was fine on the top but not down in the middle at all. Even the taps drilled into the jaw in two places hurt. The bent metal pieces being pulled out with a pliers didn’t hurt anymore, but after an hour of this and still unable to touch the tooth with a pick the dentist said there is nothing more he can do unless I wanted to deal with the pain and he would drill into the pulp and add Novocain directly. He said that should work. I didn’t want to go there I was already in so much pain. He said that I needed to find someone that can knock me out. He filled my tooth with a temporary filling and that was it. No referral no nothing. Any advise would be appreciated. I think I have an infection in the tooth as it hurts to chew anything at all and lower jaw is very sore. Thank you

Cmptrssck,

Hello.. I'm also in MN, not a dentist , but am very sorry you had to go through that.. It sounds awful...:sick:did they advise you to see an endodontist at all? or just a dentist with access to sedation? Did he give you any medication for infection at all?

They gave me nothing. No recommendations. Hygienist recommended the U but I need a referral from my dentist from yesterday. I haven’t been able to get in contact with them yet. He just walked away. I’m trying to find someone new with sedation but I am having a hard time. From what I have been reading there may be dentists that can help me. I just haven’t found them yet. Like I told the lady at the U. I’ve had a good run. The lady from insurance gave me no suggestions for where I can get care. So unless I find someone that knows what they can do for nerves like mine I will have to bear the pain or pay out of pocket. I don’t like either of those options.

Hi Cmptrssck,

what you have been through sounds awful and I hate that the only solution you have been given was knocking you out and then not even a referral. If you haven't read it yet, here is an article about not being able to get numbed. It may give you few explanations and ideas about solution. I know there are dentists who enjoy working with patients who are hard to get numbed and I read somewhere that endodontists are often familiar with special numbing techniques (maybe it's even in the article). I can only imagine what this experience must have done to your dental fear..

Every now and then someone will have a particularly difficult tooth to achieve profound anesthesia. This seems to be you now. While you could try again another day but the best way may well be to see a dentist who offers IV sedation and is comfortable treating patients with your needs.

Right now I have too many issues preventing me from seeing anyone. Every bit of dental work has caused me pain. The pain this last time, even the two x taps, I can still feel it if I think about it, pure pain straight to my brain. I cannot find a dentist in my plan anyway. Insurance shouldn’t be such a holdup.

Dentistry doesn't have to hurt and i simply doesn't in my office.

Back