• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Root canal failure after crown

S

saralou35

So two weeks ago I got a permenant crown fitted on an 8yr old root canalled molar (it was only previously filled) it was ok for the first week but then last week was really hurting to chew and getting weird pains up into my cheek /nose area!! Dentist found a high spot and filed it down and then chewing got a lot better ( but still face pressure/pains) so went back to diff dentist this week at scame practise he said that the crown even though had an even bite was still hitting quit hard so he really adjusted bite! Since yesterday I can now chew anything again so it’s solved the chewing pain! However I still have a pretty much constant pain/pressure across cheek & into nose) And I am petrified that the root canal is failing or tooth got cracked somehow getting crowned! Could all the bite probs have caused this face pain or do u think it’s infected! I’m planning to go back again in a few days if it’s still the same but am freaking out that it will have to be extracted or I face a massive cost for a re-root canal that might not work ???

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
The only thing to do is to get some x-rays done and check how it looks. If the RCT is failing, it should be obvious. If it's been fine for 8 years, I think it should be OK though.

S

saralou35

Thanks gordan im in a lot of pain today and feel sick! I’ve had to go on a kids school trip so couldn’t ring dentist! Will ring tomorrow and ask for X-rays? I’ve invested a lot in this tooth and am devastated it’s hurting so bad! Is loosing a first upper molar really as bad for your mouth as people say! I’m so scared I don’t know if that’s actually what’s making me feel sick ?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
My wife lost all 4 of hers at 8 years old, can't say it's done her any harm, other than making poor matrimonial decisions :)

S

saralou35

So my newly crowned old root canalled tooth (rt 8yrs ago) has stopped hurting to chew on but I’m still getting pain/pressure up to cheek and nose! (Even a little on other side?) im so panicky it’s infected again! I haven’t been back to dentist yet for X-ray will go this week! I really don’t know what to do though if nothing shows up? Do I pull tooth or get it re root canalled by an Endodontist (I’m also in uk so will cost about £700 ?) im so stressed out I can’t stop thinking about my teeth!!!! ?

S

saralou35

So my newly crowned old root canalled tooth (rt 8yrs ago) has stopped hurting to chew on but I’m still getting pain/pressure up to cheek and nose! (Even a little on other side?) im so panicky it’s infected again! I haven’t been back to dentist yet for X-ray will go this week! I really don’t know what to do though if nothing shows up? Do I pull tooth or get it re root canalled by an Endodontist (I’m also in uk so will cost about £700) im so stressed out I can’t stop thinking about my teeth!!!! ?

M

MountainMama

So my newly crowned old root canalled tooth (rt 8yrs ago) has stopped hurting to chew on but I’m still getting pain/pressure up to cheek and nose! (Even a little on other side?) im so panicky it’s infected again! I haven’t been back to dentist yet for X-ray will go this week! I really don’t know what to do though if nothing shows up? Do I pull tooth or get it re root canalled by an Endodontist (I’m also in uk so will cost about £700 ?) im so stressed out I can’t stop thinking about my teeth!!!! ?
I don't know if this will help but I had the exact same pressure and pain in my sinuses that you have, and just had an x ray yesterday, which shows the root canal had no infection around it. I know I had talked about this in my other root canal thread, but I just wanted to reiterate that the pressure in sinuses did not indicate infection.

S

saralou35

It’s just because the face pressure pain started the same time as the tooth did to chew? Since they altered its bite chewing is ok but face pain remains? That’s why I’m not sure it is sinuses but tooth all along? This tooth hasn’t been right in the 8years since it was rt! It’s slways niggled! I’m wondering if a canal was missed and now with all the crown work it has flared up? It’s a molar and the original dentist said it had 3 roots? Is this normal for a #14. Also she said that I had very small canals and struggled to get to the end of one! Although new dentist said previously it looked ok and was filled quite close to end? It’s a bloomin mystery I just wish I knew if it was sinuses or tooth! I’m even starting to wonder is it anxiety?

M

MountainMama

It’s just because the face pressure pain started the same time as the tooth did to chew? Since they altered its bite chewing is ok but face pain remains? That’s why I’m not sure it is sinuses but tooth all along? This tooth hasn’t been right in the 8years since it was rt! It’s slways niggled! I’m wondering if a canal was missed and now with all the crown work it has flared up? It’s a molar and the original dentist said it had 3 roots? Is this normal for a #14. Also she said that I had very small canals and struggled to get to the end of one! Although new dentist said previously it looked ok and was filled quite close to end? It’s a bloomin mystery I just wish I knew if it was sinuses or tooth! I’m even starting to wonder is it anxiety?
I have often wondered if some of my symptoms were just due to anxiety. I am no expert, but couldn't the work on the crown have still aggravated the sinuses, even if your roots didn't extend into them?

S

saralou35

So I went back to dentist two days ago because of face pain in cheek above tooth and she xrayed tooth. The X-ray is not showing any signs of infection. But Because of my pains she adjusted bite again and pretty much took crown out of occlusion (my old filled tooth was out of occlusion too) and Gave me antibiotics? Yesterday I felt a lot better and pains above face we’re going but then last night when I brushed teeth the tooth felt in a lot of pain again! It hurts to floss round one side of it. The tooth just feels weird I’m aware of it all the time! Surely I shouldn’t feel anything on a root canalled tooth! I just don’t know what to do next! I feel sick! I don’t know whether to see an endodentist, extract or give it some more time! Any advise???

M

MountainMama

When I had antibiotics, it didn't start feeling better until four days in. If it hurts to floss and brush, maybe it is just irritation of the gums? I hope you feel better soon. I think the worst part with dental stuff is that there is no clear cut answer, and the uncertainty is what gives me so much anxiety.

S

saralou35

When I had antibiotics, it didn't start feeling better until four days in. If it hurts to floss and brush, maybe it is just irritation of the gums? I hope you feel better soon. I think the worst part with dental stuff is that there is no clear cut answer, and the uncertainty is what gives me so much anxiety.
Omg your do right! I think the anxiety of what’s is going on is worse! Plus I’m so scared of losing this tooth as it’s a molar and everyone says it’s the worse tooth to loose! One day it’s not so bad then the next day I have this weird cheek sensation again! ??? thinking I’m going to try and see an endodentist next week as they have better imaging equipment! I also found out this week that gum recession on other side of my mouth in a side tooth is prob due to them alternigh the bite on this tooth years ago! ??? my teeth are stressing me out so much and I feel like they are all hurting plus my whole face is taught! I’m in a state today ???

M

MountainMama

Omg your do right! I think the anxiety of what’s is going on is worse! Plus I’m so scared of losing this tooth as it’s a molar and everyone says it’s the worse tooth to loose! One day it’s not so bad then the next day I have this weird cheek sensation again! ??? thinking I’m going to try and see an endodentist next week as they have better imaging equipment! I also found out this week that gum recession on other side of my mouth in a side tooth is prob due to them alternigh the bite on this tooth years ago! ??? my teeth are stressing me out so much and I feel like they are all hurting plus my whole face is taught! I’m in a state today ???
I just had this conversation with my dentist yesterday about referred pain. She said that when one tooth hurts really badly, it can cause you to feel like other teeth are hurting as well, anywhere or everywhere in your mouth. It makes you hypersensitive to any twinge or pain.
Are you doing warm salt water rinses several times a day. That actually helped me quite a bit with the sore gums. I am still doing it as it seems to help with inflammation as well, since I am still having trouble with my root canal tooth. One teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water. Swish it around the tooth for about 30 seconds, then spit.

S

saralou35

I just had this conversation with my dentist yesterday about referred pain. She said that when one tooth hurts really badly, it can cause you to feel like other teeth are hurting as well, anywhere or everywhere in your mouth. It makes you hypersensitive to any twinge or pain.
Are you doing warm salt water rinses several times a day. That actually helped me quite a bit with the sore gums. I am still doing it as it seems to help with inflammation as well, since I am still having trouble with my root canal tooth. One teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water. Swish it around the tooth for about 30 seconds, then spit.

Yes ive started doing the salt water rinses last night and today and gum does feel a bit better when I flossed it today! Pain today has been about a 2/10 but I’m scared to get hopeful about it as have still had the tingle up cheek feeling but not constantly ??Also cheek thing gets worse when I lay down! Is that indicative of tooth abcess?

M

MountainMama

I don't know about the pain worse when lying down. When I had my tooth infection, it felt better when I was laying down. After being upright for awhile, it would hurt worse. Mornings were usually better, and after lunch things got worse.

S

saralou35

So I’m on day 3 of antibiotics I was hoping pain was getting better but today the face/cheek niggle pain is back and tooth just doesn’t feel right! I’m at wits end! I’m losing temp with my little boy as I’m so preoccupied with thoughts of what to do ? hubs has just said he’d pay for endodentist to have a look and poss retreat but is it even worth it! Wondering whether it just needs pulling out! ?? im really gutted as I don’t think I’ll even be able to get an implant as I’m diabetic! ?

M

MountainMama

So I’m on day 3 of antibiotics I was hoping pain was getting better but today the face/cheek niggle pain is back and tooth just doesn’t feel right! I’m at wits end! I’m losing temp with my little boy as I’m so preoccupied with thoughts of what to do ? hubs has just said he’d pay for endodentist to have a look and poss retreat but is it even worth it! Wondering whether it just needs pulling out! ?? im really gutted as I don’t think I’ll even be able to get an implant as I’m diabetic! ?
I feel the same way. I have two kids and I feel as though I am being such a bad mom right now, with no patience and obsessing over my teeth. If your husband is willing to pay for you to see an endodontist, maybe that would be the best thing. They could do an x ray (mine did a 3d scan) that can tell you if there is infection. With my x ray, they didn't see anything wrong in the canals, so the endodontist showed me a picture of teeth roots that have accessory roots sticking out. She said when there is pain that continues often it is because the root tips look like those, where they can't get to with a file. That is when they do the apicoectomy, like what she wants to do with me.
Oh, and the antibiotics didn't kick in until day 4 with me. About halfway through that day I started noticing a big difference. The bad thing was that the pain came back three days after I finished the course.

Good luck! I know exactly how you feel...plus it is so disheartening to spend all this money and it not work.

J

Jtds

I’m in the same boat. Although I’m now on my second lot of antibiotics and nothing is working. My root canaled tooth had been reroot canaled 3 times over the last three weeks and nothing is taking the pain away. It feels like a vice grip around my tooth, immense pressure. But the Endo has checked it out and said there is no infection and all roots have been canaled properly. He doesn’t see why I’m still in pain. I also have a 3 year old to entertain and I’m feeling like an awful mom, I can’t concentrate on anything other than my teeth. I’m so confused and frustrated, I just want this pain gone. Has anyone had their tooth extracted and had it helped? Really if someone could tell me it would help, I would do it today. Does your pain feel like a pressure around the tooth? Is it sore to tap on it? Mine is not sensitive to hot or cold but tapping on it makes me fly through the roof in pain.

S

saralou35

I’m in the same boat. Although I’m now on my second lot of antibiotics and nothing is working. My root canaled tooth had been reroot canaled 3 times over the last three weeks and nothing is taking the pain away. It feels like a vice grip around my tooth, immense pressure. But the Endo has checked it out and said there is no infection and all roots have been canaled properly. He doesn’t see why I’m still in pain. I also have a 3 year old to entertain and I’m feeling like an awful mom, I can’t concentrate on anything other than my teeth. I’m so confused and frustrated, I just want this pain gone. Has anyone had their tooth extracted and had it helped? Really if someone could tell me it would help, I would do it today. Does your pain feel like a pressure around the tooth? Is it sore to tap on it? Mine is not sensitive to hot or cold but tapping on it makes me fly through the roof in pain.
Hi mine is not really sensitive to tap but does feel sore if I press on it! My prob is more the weird sensations in my face above it! It’s freaking me out and making me anxious! If I knew the tooth was def the prob I’d get it extracted today but I’m scared to incase the prob is sinuses or facial nerve? I woke up this morning and think I’d been clenching (anxiety from all this) and now I’ve got jaw ache on that side too!!! It’s making me cranky! I’m not dur back to dentist till next Tuesday! ???

J

Jtds

Hi mine is not really sensitive to tap but does feel sore if I press on it! My prob is more the weird sensations in my face above it! It’s freaking me out and making me anxious! If I knew the tooth was def the prob I’d get it extracted today but I’m scared to incase the prob is sinuses or facial nerve? I woke up this morning and think I’d been clenching (anxiety from all this) and now I’ve got jaw ache on that side too!!! It’s making me cranky! I’m not dur back to dentist till next Tuesday! ???
Do you grind your teeth? I do quite badly since the root canal I stopped using my guard and the pain got significantly worse. My Endo told me to use it even though it’s uncomfortabke with the sore tooth. It has taken away the jaw ache, also sleeping with an extra pillow helped a bit too. But I’m still suffering with the pressure pain. I feel the same, so I get it extracted and fear to be in the same position afterwards plus a missing tooth.. I just wish someone could help and give definite answers. It might worth getting a guard that you purchase on eBay or something. See if it helps..