• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal failure after crown

S

saralou35

So two weeks ago I got a permenant crown fitted on an 8yr old root canalled molar (it was only previously filled) it was ok for the first week but then last week was really hurting to chew and getting weird pains up into my cheek /nose area!! Dentist found a high spot and filed it down and then chewing got a lot better ( but still face pressure/pains) so went back to diff dentist this week at scame practise he said that the crown even though had an even bite was still hitting quit hard so he really adjusted bite! Since yesterday I can now chew anything again so it’s solved the chewing pain! However I still have a pretty much constant pain/pressure across cheek & into nose) And I am petrified that the root canal is failing or tooth got cracked somehow getting crowned! Could all the bite probs have caused this face pain or do u think it’s infected! I’m planning to go back again in a few days if it’s still the same but am freaking out that it will have to be extracted or I face a massive cost for a re-root canal that might not work ???

The only thing to do is to get some x-rays done and check how it looks. If the RCT is failing, it should be obvious. If it's been fine for 8 years, I think it should be OK though.

Thanks gordan im in a lot of pain today and feel sick! I’ve had to go on a kids school trip so couldn’t ring dentist! Will ring tomorrow and ask for X-rays? I’ve invested a lot in this tooth and am devastated it’s hurting so bad! Is loosing a first upper molar really as bad for your mouth as people say! I’m so scared I don’t know if that’s actually what’s making me feel sick ?

My wife lost all 4 of hers at 8 years old, can't say it's done her any harm, other than making poor matrimonial decisions :)

So my newly crowned old root canalled tooth (rt 8yrs ago) has stopped hurting to chew on but I’m still getting pain/pressure up to cheek and nose! (Even a little on other side?) im so panicky it’s infected again! I haven’t been back to dentist yet for X-ray will go this week! I really don’t know what to do though if nothing shows up? Do I pull tooth or get it re root canalled by an Endodontist (I’m also in uk so will cost about £700 ?) im so stressed out I can’t stop thinking about my teeth!!!! ?

So my newly crowned old root canalled tooth (rt 8yrs ago) has stopped hurting to chew on but I’m still getting pain/pressure up to cheek and nose! (Even a little on other side?) im so panicky it’s infected again! I haven’t been back to dentist yet for X-ray will go this week! I really don’t know what to do though if nothing shows up? Do I pull tooth or get it re root canalled by an Endodontist (I’m also in uk so will cost about £700 ?) im so stressed out I can’t stop thinking about my teeth!!!! ?

I don't know if this will help but I had the exact same pressure and pain in my sinuses that you have, and just had an x ray yesterday, which shows the root canal had no infection around it. I know I had talked about this in my other root canal thread, but I just wanted to reiterate that the pressure in sinuses did not indicate infection.

It’s just because the face pressure pain started the same time as the tooth did to chew? Since they altered its bite chewing is ok but face pain remains? That’s why I’m not sure it is sinuses but tooth all along? This tooth hasn’t been right in the 8years since it was rt! It’s slways niggled! I’m wondering if a canal was missed and now with all the crown work it has flared up? It’s a molar and the original dentist said it had 3 roots? Is this normal for a #14. Also she said that I had very small canals and struggled to get to the end of one! Although new dentist said previously it looked ok and was filled quite close to end? It’s a bloomin mystery I just wish I knew if it was sinuses or tooth! I’m even starting to wonder is it anxiety?

It’s just because the face pressure pain started the same time as the tooth did to chew? Since they altered its bite chewing is ok but face pain remains? That’s why I’m not sure it is sinuses but tooth all along? This tooth hasn’t been right in the 8years since it was rt! It’s slways niggled! I’m wondering if a canal was missed and now with all the crown work it has flared up? It’s a molar and the original dentist said it had 3 roots? Is this normal for a #14. Also she said that I had very small canals and struggled to get to the end of one! Although new dentist said previously it looked ok and was filled quite close to end? It’s a bloomin mystery I just wish I knew if it was sinuses or tooth! I’m even starting to wonder is it anxiety?

I have often wondered if some of my symptoms were just due to anxiety. I am no expert, but couldn't the work on the crown have still aggravated the sinuses, even if your roots didn't extend into them?

So I went back to dentist two days ago because of face pain in cheek above tooth and she xrayed tooth. The X-ray is not showing any signs of infection. But Because of my pains she adjusted bite again and pretty much took crown out of occlusion (my old filled tooth was out of occlusion too) and Gave me antibiotics? Yesterday I felt a lot better and pains above face we’re going but then last night when I brushed teeth the tooth felt in a lot of pain again! It hurts to floss round one side of it. The tooth just feels weird I’m aware of it all the time! Surely I shouldn’t feel anything on a root canalled tooth! I just don’t know what to do next! I feel sick! I don’t know whether to see an endodentist, extract or give it some more time! Any advise???

When I had antibiotics, it didn't start feeling better until four days in. If it hurts to floss and brush, maybe it is just irritation of the gums? I hope you feel better soon. I think the worst part with dental stuff is that there is no clear cut answer, and the uncertainty is what gives me so much anxiety.

When I had antibiotics, it didn't start feeling better until four days in. If it hurts to floss and brush, maybe it is just irritation of the gums? I hope you feel better soon. I think the worst part with dental stuff is that there is no clear cut answer, and the uncertainty is what gives me so much anxiety.

Omg your do right! I think the anxiety of what’s is going on is worse! Plus I’m so scared of losing this tooth as it’s a molar and everyone says it’s the worse tooth to loose! One day it’s not so bad then the next day I have this weird cheek sensation again! thinking I’m going to try and see an endodentist next week as they have better imaging equipment! I also found out this week that gum recession on other side of my mouth in a side tooth is prob due to them alternigh the bite on this tooth years ago! my teeth are stressing me out so much and I feel like they are all hurting plus my whole face is taught! I’m in a state today

So I’m on day 3 of antibiotics I was hoping pain was getting better but today the face/cheek niggle pain is back and tooth just doesn’t feel right! I’m at wits end! I’m losing temp with my little boy as I’m so preoccupied with thoughts of what to do ? hubs has just said he’d pay for endodentist to have a look and poss retreat but is it even worth it! Wondering whether it just needs pulling out! im really gutted as I don’t think I’ll even be able to get an implant as I’m diabetic!

Back