• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal heat sensitivity after a year?

F

Feelingill

I had a root canal in an upper left tooth about 15 months ago. At first it was sensitive to heat but this settled down after a couple of weeks and has been fine ever since.
This week it has suddenly become really sensitive to heat again - whenever I have a hot drink or meal.
I have been suffering from a sinus infection and have been on antibiotics for it. Could this be the reason for the tooth sensitivity?
I find it very stressful to go to the dentist and don't want to go unless it's really necessary. My check up is at the end of November anyway.
Can anyone shed any light on what could be going on? Shall I just try to ignore it and hope it settles down again?

any help much appreciated
thanks

Once a tooth has had a root canal there shouldn't be any sensitivity to either hot or cold. There isn't any nerve left in the tooth to feel that sensation. It's possible you've got another tooth close by that develops sensitivity sometimes but feels like it is coming from the root canaled tooth. This happens more often than you would expect.
A sinus infection could definitely make one of those teeth up there more sensitive. I'd give it until your appointment at the end of November to settle down and if it hasn't, mention it to your dentist then.

Thanks that's helped put my mind at ease ?

Back