• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal hurts after two weeks

N

NJGirl

I had a root Canal finished about two weeks ago. The first half had been done at the beginning of the month and went fine. The second half was completed about a week afterwards. I was put on antibiotics and everything was ok. I felt the normal achiness and soreness expected after a root canal and regular Advil would take care of it. On Friday the tooth started to get sore again. The office it's not open on Friday or on the weekend. It's been getting more and more sore and Advil isn't helping. It's not the whole tooth but the soreness is radiating out of the area that the temporary filling is which is mostly on the first half of the tooth facing toward my lips. The back half facing my throat is fine. It's mostly an intense ache with a bit of a stabby feeling when at it's worse. The procedure was done by an endodontist. I will have to call them first thing in the morning. I am scared though. I don't even know if anything can be done. My worse fear is being left in pain without a diagnosis or being helped. (It's happened before to me and I had to live with extreme pain for months and going back and forth). I know it's impossible to diagnose based on a few words on the internet but is there any positive outcome that is possible or even likely?

It isn't unusual to have some soreness after a root canal for several weeks to a month following the procedure. If your bite feels fine I'd just give it a bit more time to settle down.

Back