• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Canal in 5 hours. Crisis

J

JenFid

I am already hysterical. I have not slept but I am thankful that even though my dr wont prescribe me anything, he did reschedule me for today instead of the original appt on Fri. Dec 7. I will be happy once it is done. wait, will this be it? I have heard horrible things about the crown part also. The dr. also said that while he does not prescribe anti anxiety medication, if I have a prescription I can take whatever I just have to let him know what and how much I took when I arrive. My current problem is that I dont know how much to take. I have .25 xanax prescribed for me when I had to give a speech and was a bit nervous. Public speeking makes me a BIT nervous. the dentist causes me to cry, hyperventilate, have heart palpitations, etc etc. I would normally phone the prescribing DR (my family physician) and ask but it was at 4 yesterday when the dentist called and said come in the morning. it was too late in the day to my GP and I will not have time to hear back from him this morning. I have been on internet for hours and it seems that .75 to 1mg is the most common dose of xanax. Anyone else have this dosage? I am not sure which is upsetting me more right now. the fear of the root canal or not being able to sort out my preventative medication plan. Somebody please say anything that might make me feel a bit better please.

Hi JenFid,

I'm sorry I don't know anything about xanax, so I'm no use to you there. But I will tell you that I've had lots of root canals, and they're seriously no big deal. I'm phobic too so I know that doesn't help much-- you know how your body reacts to being in the dentist's chair. But I can tell you that it's a simple procedure, it usually takes a little more than an hour, and is almost always completely painless. From the patient's perspective it's not a whole lot different from having a cavity filled.

Typically you will have to get the crown on another visit. This is super-easy, because after the root canal, your tooth is completely "dead"-- no nerves at all. I can give you some details on that procedure later, but for today, just try to be assured that this procedure is simple, straightforward, and painless.

Good luck, you'll be home before you know it!:hug5:

Hi JenFid,

As what Steve In Cleveland said, you will be home before you know it! :XXLhug:
I am phobic of dentists too, and the anticipation of the root canal is more scary than the actual procedure.
It's great that your schedule is pushed ahead, so you needn't wait longer.
I have had 2 root canals done. I don't have any advice on the xanax dosage, sorry, but I just wanted to come in and give you a big hug! It really isn't all that bad once you sink into the chair. ;) Good luck!

Back