• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Canal-make me feel better please

E

Envirochick12887

I had a blip in my treatment plan. I had to go for an emergency root canal. My face swelled up and so saturday (today is Monday) morning I had to go and have the process started. Although the throbbing terrible pain is gone, it’s now sore and almost achy. It’s also still slightly swollen, but it’s getting better each day. I can now open my mouth and smile. But there is some sore like inflammation under my tongue that’s making it difficult to swallow a little - not as bad as yesterday though. And my lip/chin area is sort of tingley. Has anyone ever had a root canal? Will all this go away? How long? I’m just so tired of teeth issues!

Sorry to read about your emergency treatment. :( If your face was so badly swallen then there was a lot going on in the tooth so it is normal to need some time to get back to normal again. They probably put a medication into the tooth to help it settle and the whole thing needs some time to work now. It sounds like you are getting better every day which is good. This will all go away gradually. If you find the symptoms getting worse or feel insecure, do not hesitate to give your office a call. All the best wishes and keep us posted.

I must admit that you always make me feel better every time you comment on any of my posts. So thank you for your words of encouragement and kindness, because they are truly so helpful. My chin area and under my tongue are still slightly swollen, still slowly getting better each day. Today I felt like I could actually do something other than sit on the couch with an ice pack. My lymph node is still slightly swollen because it’s still fighting an infection, but the endodontists went through all my symptoms today over the phone and said I’m on the right track. Technically it’s only been 3.5 days since it’s been done. So I guess I’m doing good. I just hate being in any discomfort and if under my tongue wasn’t swollen it would be so much easier to eat and stuff. Also my ear is slightly achy..which I guess is normal. Here’s to hoping this is over in no time. This too shall pass has been my mantra!

Thank you for your kind words and glad to read that your endodontist talked to you on the phone about the symptoms, sounds like they care well of you. Being in pain an not being able to eat comfortably sucks, I will keep my fingers crossed for you to get well soon. :clover:

Envirochick,

Are you doing any better after your root canal? less achy? I hope so...

Thanks for checking in! Although it has been a struggle to eat fully, it’s starting to heal a bit. I feel like once under my tongue goes back to normal it will be a lot easier. At moments during the day it’s sore. And I woke up in the middle of the night because it was sore. I went back to work today, which was a good sign too. I just hope that I never am in that much tooth pain ever again! It almost feels like I’ll have ptsd for a while because of it, and although I say that slightly jokingly, I’m actually thinking I might!

sorry to hear about your emergency root canal. I've had one before and am going to have one next wednesday-my first one went smoothly without any issues so am staying positive i won't have any this time. I'm sure you will feel better soon, just keep doing what you are doing and stay positive that you will feel back to normal soon. Can i ask how you were able to get through the root canal? what helped you the most while getting it done? I am trying to remain calm, will listen to music but still not sure how it will go. I have a sore throat this week but am hoping i will feel better by next week or i may need to change it but don't really want to as i want it over and done with. I am also having a different dentist than last time due to the other dentist working out of another office but he is very experienced and is supposed to be good with nervous patients. I will tell him my worries at the beginning and i know that will calm me. Feel better soon.:)

My biggest problem was the pain ahead of time. But I folded my hands and just started to deep breath through my nose. And I started thinking about all the stuff I wanted to do when I was done. Usually when I’m in the dentist chair I knit. Even though I don’t end up far with the knitting it helps me to hold it and in between them being away from my mouth I can do a few stitches. Helps me focus on something different. I would suggest tying string or just something small to fiddle with. Maybe even a smooth rock you can rub in your pocket. Hope those help. And I really hope it goes well for you. I’m also a super nervous patient so I can understand your feelings completely! You got this though! It won’t always be like this, and this too shall pass!

thanks for the tips, i do take things with me for comfort but usually don't put them in my pocket, just look at them before i am worked on. I wish i could read while they work on me but of course that isn't possible. They are okay that you knit? I don't but that is a good idea. I will take my own mp3 player and if I don't like their music, can put in my earbuds. I don't usually use them but take them along for before and in case I need them. I just hope my cough isn't bad, it's not bad but I want it gone by Wednesday.

Those sound like all good options to me. And it might sound silly but I bribe myself. I always say, if I can get through this I’m getting that drink I like at Starbucks that costs $5. Anything to get through it. Hopefully your cough will be much better. I’m sure it will by Wednesday though. You got this!

I had two root canals a few months ago and I left thinking... why does everyone say root canals are awful??? I got them both done at the same time and after the numbing needle I didn’t feel a thing. It was far less painful that fillings or cleanings. Good luck!

The procedure isn’t a big deal at all! I was so surprised myself! And they talked me through the whole thing. Since mine was infected it’s sore and was swollen. It’s decreasing every day though. I started salt water rinses yesterday and should have done that earlier. I think that’s what’s reducing it more. But I FINALLY self through the entire night without waking up to take another Advil. Big things lol!

what i really don't like about them (need one next wed.) is how long they take, esp. on a molar. I have 3 canals getting done on an upper tooth. I know when I read how bad they are, that doesn't help my anxiety!

I don’t think the actual procedure is terrible. Maybe slightly uncomfortable for your jaw, and slightly sore gums after. Deep breath though! You got this! I still have to go to get mine finished. I can’t wait to have it behind me too. Good luck! Would like to know how it goes for you.

Usually when I’m in the dentist chair I knit. Even though I don’t end up far with the knitting it helps me to hold it and in between them being away from my mouth I can do a few stitches. Helps me focus on something different. I would suggest tying string or just something small to fiddle with. Maybe even a smooth rock you can rub in your pocket.

Wow, this is great advice, thank you! I am very new to knitting but I find it very relaxing. I think I would be too nervous and my hands will be so shaky that if I tried to work on it I would flub something up but just holding them in my hands might give me that same relaxing feeling.

This might freak some people out, but I also sometimes bring a reborn doll with me to the doctor or dentist to hold or just look at. But most times I don't because I feel embarrassed.

And I always bring my friend to hold my sweaty hand but she probably wants a break from that every now and then. So far she's been incredibly patient with me though.

what i do is bring small stuffies and have them in my purse to look at just before and if i get a break. I also bring photos of my pets as they calm me as well. i wish i wasn't too embarrassed to have them on my lap or in my hand but at 47 i really don't want them to think i'm not normal,lol. i have small stuffies' on a keychain so maybe those wouldn't be too strange.

Back