• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal needed??

W

wileyt1

Hi... About 15 years ago I had an accident and damaged (chipped) both of my front teeth. At the time, they were both tested and a Root Canal wasn't needed, they were crowned and I haven't had any problems until recently. One of the teeth started bothering me a few months ago. No sensitivities, no throbbing or pain. There is a dull discomfort along the gum line and sometimes just a dull ache or pressure. My regular dentist took XRays and checked for infection and possible sinus issues, she found nothing. I've tried sinus meds, nasial sprays and still having the same issues. The Endo did all the tests and checked my bite and found that this tooth took a long time to respond to the cold test and the sensitivity lasted with this tooth. She is recommending a Root Canal. This is not something I want as I know this will weaken the tooth and I am so afraid of losing it al together. I suffer PTSD from my accident and this just brings back all the wrong feels. Has anyone experienced pain or issues like this? I'm just so unsure if it really is the root. It feels like a pressure between the crown and the tooth beside it but along the gum line. Any ideas would be helpful.. Thanks so much..

Kml1998

Kml1998

@wileyt1 hello, maybe you could try and get a second opinion from another dentist

W

wileyt1

@Kml1998… thanks. I did have two dentists agree that it should have a root canal before it gets infected and is in more pain…. I’m just really not wanting to do it and wondered if anyone had anything else similar.

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, it's true that root canal treatment will often leave the tooth weaker, particularly if it's a back tooth. To counteract this, a crown (or, depending on the situation, an onlay) is used to protect the tooth. As you already have a crown on the tooth in question, it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Lingering sensitivity is often a sign that the tooth needs root canal treatment. Of course, at the end of the day, it's your decision. Maybe get a third opinion from another endo if you're having trouble making up your mind?