• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal nightmare :( help me

J

Joanne1989

I have been in crippling pain for the past few weeks, this weekend that has just passed I was in agony, my jaw started to swell Sunday evening so on Monday I got an appointment at the dentist, she carried out my first root canal treatment which I can't say was pleasant but I am a big baby when it comes to the dentist. 3days on now and the swelling still hasn't gone down, and still uncomfortable. I'm going back tomorrow morning for the last bit of the root canal to finish. Why is this swelling still here? It's ridiculous! After having toothache for at least the past month and then this, it's silly, my patience isn't great at the best of times!
someone please give me some words of wisdom, I'm at the end of my tether! :cry:

Hi Joanne,
It sounds as if you didnt see the dentist until the infection was very well established and causing you all sorts of problems. It takes the body time to heal from an injury like that so I really wouldn't expect everything to be sorted in just a few days.
I'm afraid you'll have to give it some time. If the swelling is still present at your appointment then the root canal shouldnt be sealed.

Oh my god thankyou rob for replying! Do you mean that she shouldn't carry out the last part of the root canal treatment? What should my dentist do about the swelling? The perfect way to describe the pain is irritated gums and my jaw feels like I've been hit with a bat.
What do I say when I return tomorrow morning? I hate to complain because the pain isn't half as bad as it was before the root canal but it's just annoying, I just want to feel normal again :(

^^^^^ that's a photo of my face, the swelling in this picture is on the left (normally right side)
i don't know if this helps?

Joanne1989 if this was a UK NHS root canal done quite quickly, be prepared for them to say it has failed and to want to extract your tooth.

What you need to know is that there are private endodontists you can be referred to QUICKLY as it's private who likely will be able to sort your tooth out. They use microscopes to see what they are doing and spend much longer carrying out the treatment - sometimes a couple of hours to get a good result. You can expect this to be pain-free as they should also know how to anaesthetise teeth effectively even if an infection is present.

Read more here:

Back