• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums.

Root canal ... normal-ish? :/

S

Sarah77

Hey all. Had two upper molar root canals this past week. There was no infection. Just very angry nerves going bad from old deep fillings. They are pretty achey in general and also tender to bite/tap. Is this in the realm of normal? How long until it should feel better? I guess I just want a frame of reference to calm my worried heart, mind, and mouth.

L

LauraQ68

Hi! I had two root canals yesterday (upper and lower molars on the same side). Like yours, there was no infection, but swollen nerves. Today, they are achy and tender to biting down. I'm told this is normal and it can take awhile for everything to calm down. But, I am right there with you worrying! Kudos for getting the root canals done. I know I was terrified throughout the whole procedure, but most of that was from my own anxiety disorder, not the actual dental work. I hope someone else here can chime in with an answer about the sensitivity. Hang in there!

S

Sarah77

Oh, Laura! Thank you for responding. I just feel so worried. So much online says you really shouldn’t have much pain at all. Are yours tender to tapping?

L

LauraQ68

Oh, Laura! Thank you for responding. I just feel so worried. So much online says you really shouldn’t have much pain at all. Are yours tender to tapping?
They are slightly tender to tapping, yes. I understand your worry! I was freaking out about the root canals and now I'm freaking out about how much pain I should have postop! It's a neverending cycle. Thank God for this forum. Everyone here is so kind and helpful. And, yes, Google is not helpful for these kinds of things. : )

M

MountainMama

When I had root canals fail, the endodontist did not call them failures for almost six months or more. She said it can take a long time to settle/heal. The ligaments will be sore from the root canal, as the tooth was pushed and pulled a LOT. She said it could take months!

S

Sarah77

So I probably better stop pushing on them and eating on them. 🤣

i know you ladies understand the anxiety.

T

TKB1974

I had two root canals over the past month (upper/lower molars on opposite sides) and both teeth were definitely sensitive and slightly uncomfortable for about a week after each procedure. Try to leave the area alone, be careful eating & take Tylenol/Advil as needed. 😊