• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Canal now very sensitive to cold

B

Becky937

Has anyone ever had this? Back in December I had and R/C of molar #14. As it was healing it took a little longer to heal I thought but I was not concerned. A provisional crown was put on since I was having painful dental issues on the other side and needed one side to eat on. It's very sensitive to cold now. Every time I drink something it aches badly for half a minute or so and then stops. It hurts sometimes when I bite down on it but not too often. I've been told that first molars can be tricky with extra canals. Someone please reply if they've had this happen or know about this. I suffer from fear and anxiety of dentists and doctors since very bad experiences in the past. I could barely sleep last night due to worry. Becky.

The only way to get an answer about what's going on is to see your dentist again, sorry. However, missed canals don't usually show up as cold sensitivity. It could be something simple like the next door tooth having a bit of root showing due to irritation from the temp crown.

Thank you for replying back to me. I was able to see my endo yesterday. He gave me the endo ice on #14 and #15. The endo ice on #14 did not do anything. When he put the endo ice on #15 I almost jumped out of the chair. I think I have been overflossing and brushing the area. Besides the sensitivity though it aches a bit and I told him that. I got the R/C done early in December and a provisional crown done in January. The provisional crown that was done on #14 I think is irritating the tooth and possibly #15. He tested it by hitting in on the side and it hurt a bit. Today #14 feels like a low level toothache. The endo said that when he gets back on vacation he will try and go in to find an extra canal that might be missed.

I guess I just need to see how it it after the endo retreats it. I have a problem on the other side of my mouth with two teeth, #4 and #5. These are root canalled teeth that possibly could be cracked. Both were infected and I received two rounds of antibiotics. Cone beams were taken. One tooth #5 has an infection at the root which the endo says he suspects root canal fracture.The other tooth #4 has something very small at the tip along with something suspicious looking on one of the canals. He is recommending apicos. Both teeth are calm now. I need to side to eat on though so I must wait for #14 to be treated and calm down before I can do anything with these teeth. Apicos scare the hell out of me. I am getting a consult on this. This could be months. In your opinion can I wait to get #4 and #5 treated? It could be months until I get #14 taken care of.

Many thanks,

Becky

It's really hard to predict, sorry, it's really a bit of a lottery if they'll be OK or not.

Thank you Gordon. I saw an oral surgeon. He took one look at the cone beam pics and said #4 was definitely cracked. Tooth #3 is getting an apico. I'm putting off #14 since it just feels sore. Like the oral surgeon said, "With dental problems it's best to concentrate on one at a time."

Back