• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal or extraction

Q

Queentrixi

Hi
I’ve been told that I need a root canal and crown on my premolar. It’s the upper right number 4 tooth. I had root canal on another tooth a few years ago. I found it uncomfortable and later got an infection in it and had to have it extracted. So I’m thinking of having this tooth out but am wondering will the gap be obvious when I smile. Has anyone had the tooth next to the upper canine removed and was the gap not too noticeable?

I personally would almost do anything to avoid an extraction. But then I’ve had good experiences with root canals. My first one was done 27 years ago and is still going strong. It never gave me any problems. My second one is only 2 months old, and is also not causing any problems. I’m not out of the woods yet as it still needs to be crowned and I’m not happy with my gums around that area, but we’re dealing with that. Extractions tend to mean bridges, implants or gaps with the risk that the other teeth start to move and the opposite tooth starts to super-erupt as it’s got nothing to bite against.
It‘s only my personal opinion and I know finances also play a role but I would like to keep my own teeth in place as long as possible. If a root canal fails - well I did my best!

Hi there,

having a failed root canal in the past doesn’t mean that this tooth will fail too. Everyone’s smile is different so a look into the mirror and some smiling / talking may tell you whether the tooth (means the potential gap) would be visible or not. You may want to replace the tooth long term to be able to chew and to avoid other teeth to shift in their attempt to close the gap.
The best thing would be to discuss this with your dentist to get the whole picture and see whether an extraction would be wise.

All the best wishes

Thanks. I’ll do that. The thing is I’m absolutely petrified of the root canal . I get panic attacks in the dentist chair and I’d be in there for ages.

Back