• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

    We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

root canal or not

R

Ruffles

Junior member
Joined
May 3, 2018
Messages
12
Hi l recently got a small filling in my central incisor tooth . The dentist took an x ray and said its possible the tooth could be infected or the nerve dead and may need a root canal but she couldn't tell for sure and asked me if l wanted her to drill an exploratory hole to check the nerve and l said "not this time, l'll leave it until the next appointment in 6 months time because l haven't really noticed any pain ." My biggest fear is losing the tooth because its such an important tooth. Am l putting my tooth at risk by waiting 6 months until my next check up? . Should l go back to my dentist now and ask her to do the exploratory drill to see if it needs a root canal? or would waiting 6 months not put my tooth at any risk?
 
M

Mike

Member
Verified dentist
Joined
Aug 24, 2019
Messages
87
Location
Scotland
It's up to you, I wouldn't be drilling a test cavity unless I was pretty sure the tooth was dead and I just wanted to make 100% sure. There are other things to try first like cold tests and electronic pulp tests. If the tooth hasn't been sore and isn't tender to bite on I'd be inclined to sit on it for a while and consider another Xray next time to see if there have been any changes.
 
R

Ruffles

Junior member
Joined
May 3, 2018
Messages
12
Thanks for your answer, yes that what l thought, the drilling sounded a bit risky as it could risk killing the tooth if its still alive . The tooth feels normal and bites normally with no tenderness and it looks normal , no change in colour, there was a very slight dull pain that came and went for couple of weeks , but l think that was because a filling in it fell out and since its been replaced l haven't felt any pain . yes l think l will wait until my next check up in 6 months unless l notice pain or anything wrong
 
Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Joined
Oct 25, 2005
Messages
6,089
The drilling wouldn't risk killing the tooth, but it would risk you having a lot of pain quite suddenly, as well as making an extra hole in the tooth! I'd leave it well alone for now.

Although it's a moot point, your dentist shouldn't be thinking of doing this now in any event thanks to the scary virus from the East :)
 
drhirst

drhirst

Super Moderator
Verified dentist
Joined
Dec 7, 2008
Messages
667
Location
Welwyn Garden City, UK
I agree with Mike and Gordon. It the current circumstances it is perfectly reasonable to sit on this one for six months and then get it checked again.
 
Top