• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

root canal or not

R

Ruffles

Hi l recently got a small filling in my central incisor tooth . The dentist took an x ray and said its possible the tooth could be infected or the nerve dead and may need a root canal but she couldn't tell for sure and asked me if l wanted her to drill an exploratory hole to check the nerve and l said "not this time, l'll leave it until the next appointment in 6 months time because l haven't really noticed any pain ." My biggest fear is losing the tooth because its such an important tooth. Am l putting my tooth at risk by waiting 6 months until my next check up? . Should l go back to my dentist now and ask her to do the exploratory drill to see if it needs a root canal? or would waiting 6 months not put my tooth at any risk?

It's up to you, I wouldn't be drilling a test cavity unless I was pretty sure the tooth was dead and I just wanted to make 100% sure. There are other things to try first like cold tests and electronic pulp tests. If the tooth hasn't been sore and isn't tender to bite on I'd be inclined to sit on it for a while and consider another Xray next time to see if there have been any changes.

Thanks for your answer, yes that what l thought, the drilling sounded a bit risky as it could risk killing the tooth if its still alive . The tooth feels normal and bites normally with no tenderness and it looks normal , no change in colour, there was a very slight dull pain that came and went for couple of weeks , but l think that was because a filling in it fell out and since its been replaced l haven't felt any pain . yes l think l will wait until my next check up in 6 months unless l notice pain or anything wrong

The drilling wouldn't risk killing the tooth, but it would risk you having a lot of pain quite suddenly, as well as making an extra hole in the tooth! I'd leave it well alone for now.

Although it's a moot point, your dentist shouldn't be thinking of doing this now in any event thanks to the scary virus from the East :)

I agree with Mike and Gordon. It the current circumstances it is perfectly reasonable to sit on this one for six months and then get it checked again.

Back