• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

root canal pain

S

sarako7

Hello, I just had a root canal done yesterday. is it normal for my gums to be inflamed after and for it to hurt when biting down? this happened with my other teeth that had a little bit of decay and were treated but it wouldn’t hurt as much and it would only be for a day.

i’m really scared this means the root canal failed or something worse, even though the dentist I went to seemed to really know what she was doing according to more than one person I know. she took her time, brought other dentists in to check, used so many tools i’ve never even seen before, and took x rays before and after to make sure everything was okay. i dont know if that has anything to do with the sensitivity, but one of the canals in my tooth was pretty wide. they didn’t need to place a post or anything like that though.

I got my molar filed down today and a temporary crown fitted (this is all happening so fast because I have to travel soon) but I just don’t know how to brush and floss when my gums are swollen around my tooth and it hurts to press on it but at the same time i’m terrified of the thought of plaque forming that I can’t get rid of. How can i brush and floss around the tooth if it hurts to touch right now?

The link Gordon posted explains why it hurts to bite down right now - it's completely normal! For the sore gums, perhaps you could try Difflam? Not sure if that might help, @Gordon?

I panicked about this, too, after my two root canals. It’s totally normal and doesn’t mean it’s failed. Your mouth has been traumatized and things need time to settle. It will get better!

The link Gordon posted explains why it hurts to bite down right now - it's completely normal! For the sore gums, perhaps you could try Difflam? Not sure if that might help, @Gordon?

It can help, it's good stuff generally, non trade name is Benzydamine Hydrochloride, most countries sell it in pharmacies.

Back