• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

root canal redo questions

Z

Zach_H

I'll try to make a long story not quite as long :) I'm sorry for the wall of text.

I had a root canal on my back upper molar a few years ago. While mostly pain free, it would occasionally flair up and I would either see my dentist or discuss at my regular cleaning. The pain never got to the point of being excruciating. My dentist put a composite filling in and didn't want to crown it until the tooth was settled down.
I recently started to get paranoid that I would break the tooth and wanted to get a crown. At the same time, I got dental insurance for the first time and used this as a chance for a 2nd opinion. The new dentist suggested I check back in with the Endo that did the root canal before getting the crown.

I had that appointment today. He performed some tests (tapping, cold gauze - which sucked, etc...) and sent me for a 3d X-ray of the tooth because she said it was iffy.
I got a call back this afternoon that the root canal was failing. He used a term that I didn't quite catch and moved on before I could ask for the name again - something like periodontal lesion - but I could be way off and wouldn't put much stock in that.

Apparently the 3d X-Ray showed a small curve at the end of one of the root's that was missed and that has been causing the problems. When I asked what the chance of success was with a redo - he estimated it at 75% unless there is a crack, which he won't know until he gets into the tooth.
I want to do everything I can to save the tooth. I REALLY do not want to pull it unless necessary.

So - given that he missed it the first time and according to his records I was back 4 months after that complaining and he said all was fine, but now it turns out it isn't - should I be concerned about letting him do the redo? His reputation locally is great and most dentists recommend him. He offered a 50-60% discount on the redo since it was done at that office the first time.

I don't know how to gauge success rates or competency, etc.... other than reviews and recommendations. Should I be running to a new provider or giving him ownership of the tooth while armed with the new information and X-Ray? It seems that the problem has now been fully understood and hopefully will go without a hitch, but there is something scaring me about the process.

I have a ton of anxiety about the dentist anyway and need to take Valium to get through appointments. I don't know what freaks me out more - starting over with someone new or giving someone a 2nd chance that didn't get ittright to begin with. I'm sweating typing this....:confused:

Is this unusual or pretty common? I guess I'm looking for a little reassurance :)
If you made it this far - thank you!

Zach.

ughhh sorry to hear this.. thats a super hard decision.. Any gut reactions what to do., holding back or going forward with the same one. It sounds like they are being forthright.. but its hard if we have extra anxiety about dental in general. I Hate having new people do root canals..actually have never had one my an endodontist because I don't like people I don't know working on me.. I chickened out on one I needed and had to get it pulled a few months ago. should have done it a year ago it was one my old dentist referred me to endo for.. you were amazing for trying in the first place.. give yourself lots of credit then for going back to check it out.. it does sound like this place is pretty good and legit.. hope you get your peace of mind about it....

Zach.

ughhh sorry to hear this.. thats a super hard decision.. Any gut reactions what to do., holding back or going forward with the same one. It sounds like they are being forthright.. but its hard if we have extra anxiety about dental in general. I Hate having new people do root canals..actually have never had one my an endodontist because I don't like people I don't know working on me.. I chickened out on one I needed and had to get it pulled a few months ago. should have done it a year ago it was one my old dentist referred me to endo for.. you were amazing for trying in the first place.. give yourself lots of credit then for going back to check it out.. it does sound like this place is pretty good and legit.. hope you get your peace of mind about it....

My gut tells me to try the new place - but I haven't managed to bring myself to pick up the phone yet and even get the consultation. This tooth has been an issue for 5 years and to finally know that I'm not crazy and there is something wrong helps a little.

I think the current endodontist is being honest but I don't like that it wasn't done properly the first time and that I was back a few months later and he insisted everything was fine. 5 years later, it turns out it wasn't fine. He is abrupt and doesn't have great bedside manner, which I will totally deal with if the job is great. Part of me worries that I will have doubts always if he does it again.

Of course, tons of anxiety going with a new person too. What are they like, are they competent, etc...The usual stuff for us anxious patients :o

Is it harder for an endodontist to go back and treat something a 2nd time if they didn't do it the first time or does that not matter?

ugh... if he had an abrupt manner I'd be out of there pretty quick myself. especially not doing it right the first time, then saying everything was fine.. but that is just me... I would check out the new place too. I m so there with you though.. I chickened out myself and nver went.. I went for an exam with the endo and he seemed super hyper and on edge , lots of energy. I don't really do good with that.. I like someone calming and sweet. super picky.. I'd call or email around and get some vibes..

ugh... if he had an abrupt manner I'd be out of there pretty quick myself. especially not doing it right the first time, then saying everything was fine.. but that is just me... I would check out the new place too. I m so there with you though.. I chickened out myself and nver went.. I went for an exam with the endo and he seemed super hyper and on edge , lots of energy. I don't really do good with that.. I like someone calming and sweet. super picky.. I'd call or email around and get some vibes..

I made the call and got an appointment with the other office for Wednesday. While I hate to wait a week while my tooth hurts, it will be nice to have another opinion and hopefully a better experience.

If any dentists are reading this - is it any harder/easier following someone else's work - even if it has been 5 years? I'm hoping to get this chapter behind me, get a crown and move on with life.

It's easy to sound brave when the appointment is a week away.

'we'll be here for you through the process :)..

Back