• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

root canal retreatment advice

K

Kns

I have a retreatment of a root canal that was done this past September coming up shortly. Has anyone had one that resolved any remaining discomfort or pain after the first one? I’m worried that I’m going to regret the retreatment- that it will be just a waste of a lot of money out of pocket (dental insurance maxed). My symptoms are a feeling of pressure or squeezing around tooth #18 and mild pain when biting or pressing on it from my tongue side. Slightly feels like gum pain. CBCT shows all roots filled and no fractures. No infection before original root canal - just a prophylactic measure since there was widening of the periodontal ligament and it needed a crown due to heavy restorations and recurring decay next to tooth #19, which was root canaled and crowned shortly before. I don’t have temperature or sweets sensitivity. Will retreatment help? Has anyone else faced something similar and had it resolve with retreatment? I’m really not sure I can afford all of this and will be unhappy if this doesn’t help - or worse, creates more problems. Advice? Thanks!

I had a root canal last year in April on a tooth that had a very large, old filling. For six months following the root canal, the tooth was highly sensitive to touch. I couldn't even brush it. It looked fine on all the xrays but the endo and dentist suspected it was cracked. Many times you can't see the cracks.

I had the retreatment six months later but unfortunately in my case it didn't help. I ended up having the tooth extracted two months later.

I wanted to mention that you shouldn't have to pay for the retreatment. I didn't pay for mine. You shouldn't have any pain and the endo is doing the retreatment to make sure there aren't any missed canals or something else. That's not your fault.

Call your endo and confirm that you won't be charged.

Good luck. I hope you get that tooth resolved quickly.

Thank you! Did they finally see the crack once it was extracted? I’m pretty sure I have to pay for the retreatment (although I don’t think I should), but it won’t hurt to ask.

Back