• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal retreatment/c.diff

S

scaredycat20

My story is a little complicated, so I'll try to keep it as short as possible. I had a root canal done on tooth #3 in September 2015. The tooth was crowned also. Ever since, I have had sporadic sensitivity to hot, cold, and sweet on the same side. It feels like all the teeth on that side are sensitive. At times, there is pain when I bite down or apply pressure to the root canaled tooth, but not always. I can go months in between episodes. I have mentioned it multiple times to my dentist who says there is nothing wrong with the tooth and has said it's probably due to me clenching my teeth. On 12-31-18, I went in due to pain on that side and my dentist has referred me to an endodontist. He tried to prescribe an antibiotic even though there are no obvious signs of infection on x-ray. My gums appear healthy. There is no swelling. In 2017, I was prescribed clindamycin after a brown recluse spider bite. The result was c. diff., which was without a doubt the sickest I have ever been in my life. My PCP has warned me about taking antibiotics gain unless absolutely necessary. When I mentioned this to my dentist, he told me that I didn't "have" to take an antibiotic. I should also mention that during the first root canal, I had a panic attack, complete with crying, heart palpitations, and dry heaving. I am scheduled to see the endodontist tomorrow morning to have the tooth retreated. My PCP has called in valium (5 mg). I have never taken it and I am kind of scared to. The tooth currently does not hurt at all. I have several questions.

1. Do I have to take antibiotics after a root canal if I have the tooth retreated? I DO NOT want to go through c diff again.
2. Has anyone taken Valium before a procedure? Is the dosage adequate or too much?
3. Does it sound like there is infection if the sensitivity/pain comes and goes?
4. Would the x ray show infection if there was one?

Sorry for the novel!

I’m so sorry! I’m not a dentist but also ended up with c. Diff after clindomyacin. My doctor said never take that antibiotic again. All antibiotics can cause it, but knock on wood, no others ever have. I also take a probiotic the minute I have to start an antibiotic.
My wondering is if your tooth has a crack in it. Again, not a dentist, but can relate.
I have also taken Valium and it didn’t do much for me. I am probably thee worst dental patient though.

I was at risk for c.diff this summer and fall. I had a multitude of dental procedures including several that required antibiotics. It ended up being something like 6 rounds of antibiotics. My digestive system was so messed up, but it never got to the point of c.diff.

Anyway, long story, but I ended up needing a retreat on one of my root canals, and the endodontist said I did not have to take antibiotics.

My doctor said amoxicillin was okay, but to avoid anything stronger.

1) No absolutely not. I wouldn't even prescribe them
2) Hard to say without meeting you
3) Yes but it might be something else can't diagnose via the internet :)
4) Yes probably

1) No absolutely not. I wouldn't even prescribe them
2) Hard to say without meeting you
3) Yes but it might be something else can't diagnose via the internet :)
4) Yes probably

Thank you so much. The valium seemed to help with my anxiety, but I still had a little moment of panic. I had my root canal this morning. Why would all of the teeth on the upper right side (where the root canal was done) be sensitive to touch now?

Thank you so much. The valium seemed to help with my anxiety, but I still had a little moment of panic. I had my root canal this morning. Why would all of the teeth on the upper right side (where the root canal was done) be sensitive to touch now?

Mine did that as well after both a root canal, and then after an extraction. I was convinced they were all going bad. My dentist explained that the nerve is irritated and there is some referred pain/sensitivity going on. All the teeth near ached and were sensitive for a month and then just stopped.

Back