• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal retreatment or apicoectomy?

C

charlieth

My #30 and #31 teeth have received root canal treatments. Both teeth were successfully treated and crowned.
I started feeling slight discomfort so I advised my dentist during my last visit for teeth cleaning. She stated that it may be due to “failed” root canal treatments. She referred me to an endodontist.
I started reading about failed root canals. Having an apicoectomy is freaking me out!
Would you think I need root canal retreatment or an apicoectomy? I’m hoping that I only need to have root canal retreatment.

Hi charlieth, I can see how the thought of apicoectomy is freaking you out - it just doesn’t sound like something anyone would want to have! The usual route for failed root canals is to redo the root canal first so I hope that will be what your endodontist sill suggest.

Hi charlieth, I can see how the thought of apicoectomy is freaking you out - it just doesn’t sound like something anyone would want to have! The usual route for failed root canals is to redo the root canal first so I hope that will be what your endodontist sill suggest.
Enarete,
You just made my day! My endodontist performed a root canal on #30 but not #31. #31 was done by a regular dentist years ago. I’m hoping that when my endodontist examines #31, he immediately says that we’re gonna redo it! God bless you! Thanks for the advice!

Back