• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal retreatment

S

scaredycat20

I had tooth #3 root canaled and crowned in September of 2015. I never felt like the tooth was "right". I continued to have sensitivity to hot and cold, and pain when chewing. I had the root canal redone (through the crown) one week ago. I am now able to eat and drink anything I want without sensitivity. However, the tooth is still tender and aches a little when I chew. It does not hurt if I push or tap on the tooth, but I get random little "zaps" of pain. I am hoping that the pain is just due to the fact that I haven't chewed on that side of my mouth in a long time. The endodontist said the tooth did not look particularly bad. I asked to not be prescribed antibiotics due to my history of c. diff. My gums are not swollen or red. Is this normal after a root canal or an indicator that the retreatment was not successful?

I'd say it's pretty normal. Lack of thermal sensitivity is a good thing, so I'd be optimistic that it's going to be fine.

Back